Saturday, October 18, 2014

DIY: Green tea and tea tree oil toner

I'm running out of my Michael Todd True Organics Lemon Toner and I don't really want to repurchase this time round. Not because it's not good, it's quite excellent actually and I'm finishing my third bottle now, but because I want to make my own toner with as few ingredients as possible. I'm also trying to make my own because toners can be expensive - I use so much at any one time because I'm using a cotton pad and it doesn't feel like I'm pouring out a lot. Hence, I need to make my own toner that's both effective and economical at the same time.

I scoured Googleland and I decided to go with this green tea and tea tree oil concoction. I have already used it for a week and it has been amazing. The only downside is I need to make a fresh batch every week - you can't keep it longer for 7 days!

Products used:

  • Small spray bottle or normal bottle 
  • Green tea
  • 100% pure tea tree oil 


I got my spray bottle from Daiso, green tea from NTUC Fairprice and I bought the 100% pure tea tree oil from iherb.com. It will best to use 100% pure tea tree oil; the 10% - 15% mixtures won't work as well. If you have sensitive skin or you have never used tea tree oil on your face before, please PLEASE do a skin patch test first - I have a colleague who's allergic to tea tree oil and she found out the wrong way. 

Steps:
  • Brew your green tea NOT in boiling water. The water needs to be 70°C - 80°C. Excessive heat will "kill" the green tea. 
  • Pour around 50ml of green tea into the spray bottle and drink the rest hehe. 
  • Place the spray bottle in the fridge and wait for it to cool down. 
  • When the green tea has cooled down, add in 4 drops of tea tree oil. Since we are using the 100% tea tree oil, we don't need so much in one bottle. My general rule: 2 drops per 25ml. 
  • Mix, mix, mix and leave it in the fridge. 
  • Use whenever needed! 
Remember to throw it out after 7 days and make a brand new batch. I always note down the date of manufacture (wah like factory haha) on a label and stick it on the bottle. That way I know when I need to redo another batch! I just made a new batch today so here's a photo! Finally can use my pretty stickers from Taobao HAHA. 


Exciting times indeed! 

No comments: