Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: The Face Shop Make Me Star Waterproof Gel Liner

Another South Korean eyeliner that really surprises me with its longevity! 

You can find The Face Shop Make Me Star Waterproof Gel Liner here: http://list.gmarket.com.sg/item/THE-FACE-SHOP-THE-FACE-SHOP-LOVELY-ME-EX-MAKE/405777530

It's S$6.90 and available in so many different colours! Free shipping too, and the seller will throw in extra samples! :D 

Plus point: my favourite SNSD member, SeoHyun, is the face for The Face Shop, and especially this eyeliner!


For S$6.90, this is well worth your money. I dare say this eyeliner has almost the same amount of product as Urban Decay 24/7 liners. 




There's a smudger at the end of the brush, which is a nice touch especially if you want to do a subtle smokey eye.

I also realised the trick with using South Korean eyeliners. Many people always claim that these eyeliners are not as smudge-proof as they seem to be. However, that's because they meddle with the eyeliners before the eyeliners had the time to completely dry out.

I will elaborate further when I show you guys the swatches!


Also, this product lasts for 18 months after date of first usage.

I think I'm going to start labeling my cosmetics with the dates that I first use them, and the dates that they expire. I don't want to risk using expired products on my skin!


The product itself looks like the normal pencil eyeliners.

The difference is what makes the name "Make Me Star", this is an eyeliner that has glitter particles in it! It's not so obvious and not over the top, but it's good when you need delusional moments, or moments when you want to feel fabulous.


Swatches under sunlight

Swatches under camera flash

Now here's the part about the importance of waiting and South Korean eyeliners. YOU JUST NEED TO GIVE IT A GOOD 5 MINUTES ON ITS OWN, and it's good to go for the entire day.

I wasn't patient at first, and started scrubbing 1 minute or so after application, and so I got myself into a smudgey mess, as seen below.

Swatches under camera flash - smudged after 1 minute or so

And then I thought to myself: why not scrub some more after 5 minutes?

I got carried away. Haha. I scrubbed my hand again around 20 minutes after application, and OMG it didn't budge AT ALL, NO MATTER HOW HARD I SCRUBBED.

This is crazy.

Swatches under camera flash - smudged a good 20 minutes later
I tried this eyeliner on my eyelids already, and it's actually rather awesome, and a VERY economical substitute to my HG Urban Decay eyeliner in Zero.

Many of you must be thinking of the hassle, WHY NEED TO WAIT? SO TROUBLESOME.

If you want to take the easy way out, then get panda eyes lor, simple as that.

It's not a hassle anyway; I applied it, finished my makeup routine, and then blew dry my hair and changed into my work attire, and it dried up in the process. So I don't see how waiting can be cumbersome.

Pigmentation-wise - nothing to whine about. ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE. Got star some more, bling bling!

Will I buy this again?

  • OF COURSE. I'm ordering some more as I'm typing now. YAY TO OTHER COLOURS. MORE MORE MOREEEEE. 

21 comments:

,..--***--..,,..--***--..,,..--***--..,,..--***--.., said...

hey, was searching online for this. I bought this from gmarket too...and i have a really silly question to ask...erm..how to "sharpen" the pencil? i mean...it looks like the material is plastic...right?

thanks!!

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi there, thanks for reading! It's actually not real plastic. It's a layer of lacquer over the wood. so just use a good eyeliner sharpener (i swear by urban decay's!) and sharpen it as per usual! :)

,..--***--..,,..--***--..,,..--***--..,,..--***--.., said...

haha...it got me fooled there! looks so plastic-y!!
thanks!!

Ai said...

Awesome! I bought the product and then I had the same concern about not being able to sharpen the "pencil" because it felt so plastic-y and got frustrated for spending money on one tiny bit of liner. But now, my concerns and frustrations have vanished! :D

It's a fantastic liner no doubt, texture and color wise.

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi Ai Li, yup! It's a really a great eyeliner! I'm glad your concerns and frustrations are gone now! Thanks for reading! :)

PiaiPiPiay said...

pls help me, just bought one... but i had difficulty of adjusting the lid when its broken.. how do i adjust it?

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Which lid are you talking about? The pencil lid or the smudger lid at the back of the pencil?

Unknown said...

i loved it, though , not knowing that it was supposed to be sharpened, i kept trying to retract it. good thing i found your blog and learned that it was just plastic-y coated. I hope I'd find a dealer that prices a bit cheaper than TheFaceShop though (I found one but they don't have MakeMeStar)

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi! Thanks for reading! :) Glad you learned from my post! Appreciate it very much!

Mumai said...

hahaha.. thanks a lot!!! i didnt know it was supposed to be sharpened.. LOL

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi! thanks for reading! Glad my post helped you haha. :)

soledad said...

Thnx for answering the girls question i had the same one and was about to throw it now i know i can sharpen it hhhhhh thnx again

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Lucky you read this before you threw it away!! :)

Unknown said...

So glad I found your review....I loved this eyeliner but had the same issue as others.."how to sharpen"..I was so frustrated but continued to use the liner because it is so wonderful. I just bought a second one from TheFaceShop because looking at their "tester" in the store, it looked like a pencil I could sharpen so I thought they changed their packaging, but when I got home and unwrapped mine...it was the same "plastic" look/feel. So I started searching and found your review. THANK YOU!!!

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi Debra, thanks for reading my blog! Glad my post helped you save some money! :))

Unknown said...

Hey! Nice review you got here! The colour looks so rich! I love the green one! Brown too! Ah, you've made these two into my makeup wish list! :D

Thanks so much for sharing this especially a lot are struggling with the no-sharpening look. I was surprised to know that as I was checking this eyeliners the other day, they do looks so plasticy.

Anyway, do drop by my blog!

http://lemieletlavanille.blogspot.com.

Cheers! xx, Mira

DansuhhSistah said...

Pls teach me how to adjust the pencil, I do not know how. I try to twist that 2nd line from the bottom, but it does not bugde, I absolutely do not know how to use this, because I am a beginner. O.o

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi Nuraini,

Thanks for reading my blog. Glad you found the post useful!

Hi DansuhhSistah,

The bottom part of the pencil will reveal a smudger/blender. If you want to sharpen the pencil, just get a sturdy eye pencil sharpener and sharpen it. Or else, you can put the eyeliner in the freezer for a couple of hours first and then use a regular sharpener!

DansuhhSistah said...

but when i sharpen it, the sharpener will hit the whole stick, and might cause malfunction of the eyeliner. what does it look like when sharpened? :(

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi there,

That will happen because the eyeliner pencil lead is too soft. You can either freeze the eyeliner in the fridge for a couple of hours first before sharpening (so that the lead hardens and it will not break off so easily while sharpening) or you can get a sharpener specially made for sharpening eyeliners (i'm using Urban Decay's!). These sharpeners have thinner blades that will cut the soft leads easily without breaking them off!

Hopefully this helps! :)

Anonymous said...

Ah.. so this product is not retractable. . Idk b4.
I almost give up and plan to go to TFS counter, just to ask the beautician. . Hahaha... silly me.
But luckily I found your blog. It help so much.
Thank you..