Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: THEFACESHOP Freshian Big Mascara

These mascaras were entirely unnecessary purchases. Did I tell you guys about my relationship with Qoo10? I make orders almost weekly and I'm certainly not proud of that! Seriously, Qoo10, make me your online ambassador or something! SEND ME SOME FREE STUFF!! #shamelessselfpromotion HEHEHE. 

But seriously, there's something about Qoo10 that scares me. I just buy more and more things!! Of course I don't buy expensive products, but affordable products also can add up to a lot of money when added together! Gosh me and my amazingly hopeless self-control. 

BACK TO THE TOPIC OF THIS MASCARA REVIEW, I bought this pair of mascaras just for the sole reason that my SNSD bias, Seo Hyun, is promoting the mascaras. HAHAHAHA I love how I make the perfect consumer. :P 

THEFACESHOP Freshian Big Mascara goes for S$4.90 each with free shipping (how to not get you tell me!!) and it's available in #1 Curling and #2 Volume. For unknown reasons, I bought both. 

Here's the link in case you guys want to show Seo Hyun some support too! http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/Goods.aspx?goodscode=406075021

As above-mentioned, I bought both the #1 Curling mascara and #2 Volume mascara. I had a plan in my mind at that point of time. What if, I brush one coat of curling, and then finish it off with volume? Perfect combo! Yes, I give myself perfectly obtuse excuses to purchase products online. *Shirks shoulders*




Product packaging: I love it! Actually, anything black, glossy and embossed with white cursive letters is a winner for me. Each mascara holds around 7g of product and that's the industry standard I guess. Nothing to complain about here! Ok...perhaps the only frustation I have is I can't really differentiate which mascara serves what purpose. Although it indicates at the bottom of the product as #1 (korean words) and #2 (korean words), I can't decipher Korean characters and I get confused to whether #1 is for curling or volume. #firstworldproblems



I checked THEFACESHOP website and I don't think the company is pushing this product very much. The only description or explanation about the mascara is shown in the below poster. 

So only two promises:
  • natural eyelash look
  • curling & volume effects
I like the simplicity in this product promotion. Many times big brands go for the BOOMBOOMPOW measures to promote their otherwise quite mediocre products. With such huge expectations, you can only get more disappointed when the products don't work! 

So I like how this THEFACESHOP Freshian Big Mascara gets me on the small expectations side. Was I disappointed? I DO NOT THINK SO! HEEHEE. 



Photo from http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/Goods.aspx?goodscode=406075021 

First up, THEFACESHOP Freshian Big Mascara in #1 Curling.


Brush design: This brush is relatively fatter and curvier when compared to #2 Volume. It is slightly depressed in the middle and the tip of the mascara is more tapered. This fits with the whole "curling" concept of the mascara because the brush design does help with holding the curl and making it stay that way longer.



Now, let's look at THEFACESHOP Freshian Big Mascara in #2 Volume.


Brush design: This mascara has a straight brush design, with no depression or curvature on any sections at all. This design puzzled me initially because how is this brush going to give me volume with such straightness and stiffness? I tried it out and I will tell you my thoughts on it in a bit...




Consistency: Both products have the same product consistency. Both tend to the more watery side so it's quite difficult to work with when you're in a hurry, especially when you have the tendency to blink too much after application. PANDA EYES NIGHTMARE! A good solution to this is to train your eyes to not blink so much after application. I usually give my eyes a good widening for 10 seconds after application. Works every time for me! :)

Curling (for #1 Curling)? I was rather surprised at how it holds my curls well. I don't really have a habit of curling my lashes so when I don't, I don't pinpoint at whether or not a mascara curls my straight Asian lashes or not. However, when I do curl my lashes, I expect curling mascaras to do their magic! Fortunately, this does its job perfectly! My lashes stayed curled till the end of work and I was really pleasantly surprised! Yay to this mascara!

Volumising (for #2 Volume)? Here comes the tricky part. To put it very simply, when you use #2 after #1, it works and volumises like a dream. However when I used #2 on its own, I saw no significant differences in how my lashes looked. I guess it has something to do with this set of straight lashes. When you use it separately, you can't really notice much difference because your lashes are still straight out and hence you cannot tell the difference. But when you already apply a curling mascara beforehand, and then apply a volumising mascara, you see the difference straight away because your lashese are already curled! I hope that makes sense. :S

Longevity: In air-conditioned environment, both stayed for a good 8 hours or so. When you're out and about in the unforgiving sunny weather, I think you will need to check periodically to see if you have melted mascara or not, because THESE MASCARAS ARE NOT WATERPROOF!

Waterproof? I made my point above. Nope, completely not waterproof. Try crying and you have panda eye galore.

Will I buy it again? Maybe yes to #1 Curling and no to #2 Volume. I have a huge stash of mascaras and most of them are volumising, so I think I need other varieties of mascaras.

No comments: