Sunday, February 16, 2014

49 Seats (Kreta Ayer)

I'm starting to appreciate the location of my office. I have so many good food around me! It's not good if you have non-existent self-control or if you're watching what you eat, but great for celebrations! No lack of new restaurants to try out! 

Kengyang and I decided to celebrate Valentine's Day one day earlier because 14 Feb 2014 was one day before he left for his work-and-study stint in Shanghai, so it would be good to be home early to double check everything. 

Kengyang suggested 49 Seats and I was quite surprised that he suggested a location; usually I'm the one scouring the Internet for a good restaurant. Before going out to meet him, I did a quick research and Googleland provided me with an endless list of blog reviews. I didn't know this restaurant was so highly raved! 

49 Seats was just a 10-minute walk away from my office, and I was there early. What's new lol, I'm always early and pushing people to reach on time. 


We ordered mineral water because we were going to feast on some sinful dishes. We were given these metal cups that made me think of the cups that I used for brushing my teeth when I was little.

I think new cafes/restaurants have it hard nowadays. They always have to think of something new (something outside of the menu) to entice new customers.

Another unique trait of 49 Seats will be their opening hours. They are only open for business from 6pm onwards! Also, they close at 2am on weekdays and 430am on weekends. SUPPER SPOT.


We ordered Cheese Fries and it was SO GOOD. Yes, it tasted like KFC Cheese Fries, but definitely a better rendition. The fries were not soggy and the cheese generously poured on top was exquisite. Kengyang and I devoured this baby within minutes. TOO GOOD. 


Kengyang knew right away what he was going to order since he dined at 49 Seats before. He ordered the Pan Fried Fish with Al Scampi Sauce. It was quite simply one of the best pan fried fish that I've ever eaten. Crispy on the outside and delightfully soft on the inside. The Al Scampi Sauce was bombdiggity! The sauce came in a separate container and 49 Seats was so generous with the seafood in the sauce. Huge shrimps and clams. Truly a plate worth every cent. Kengyang didn't really like the side salad though because some of the greens were bitter, but hey, anything green is good for me, so guess who cleaned up the plate? :D 


I ordered the Tom Yum Seafood Pasta because there were so many blog reviews that highly raved this dish. Actually, there were also quite a few that were on the fence about the pasta. For me, I LOVED IT. I wanted to lick the plate clean but I needed keep my actions in check - especially with Stomp slowly taking over the lives of the kaypohs. 

But yes, this was a plate that would break world records if there were a suitable category. Of course, it's a personal preference so if you didn't like it, good for you. It's amazing to my tastebuds!

The first mouthful was very unexpected. I thought it would just be cream sauce with a hint of Tom Yum spices. But oh man no, it was fiery and very much like a bowl of Tom Yum, just strangely (and unexpectedly delicious) paired with cream sauce. 

The Tom Yum Seafood Pasta would definitely be a turn-off for those that prefer lightly flavoured food, or food that's handled with minimal salt. This pasta is very heavily flavoured - great for my Indonesian tastebuds. hehehehehehe. 

49 Seats once again proved to us how generous they were with the seafood portioning. Wah, looking at the photo below makes me drool. I WANT IT NOW PLEASE. 


I would most definitely recommend 49 Seats to my friends. Of course I have to warn them first that the Tom Yum Seafood Pasta is quite heavy, just so that they know what to expect. Overall, it was a great restaurant worth revisiting!

Can't wait for my next dining experience at 49 Seats!

49 Seats
49 Kreta Ayer Road
+65 6225 4332
Monday-Thursday: 1800-0200
Friday-Saturday: 1800-0430 (Yes they open at night till late! WOW!!)

Have a great Sunday guys! :)

No comments: