Sunday, February 16, 2014

Department of Caffeine (Duxton)

In 1 week, Kengyang and I dined at 3 cafes. Quite a feat for us because usually in 3 months, we wouldn't even visit one. haha. 

I left work early on Friday to have a quick Valentine's brunch with Kengyang (yah I know we dined at 49 Seats for Valentine's Day, but still I would miss this guy when he's in Shanghai, so more dating time please!!), and we decided to try Department of Caffeine. Kenneth (read his food blog, it's quite excellent) and Kengyang's sister highly recommended this cafe, and since it's so near my office, we decided to give it a try!!

In summary, it was a really great experience and I probably found the best waffles that I've ever eaten in my life. 

The irony of life - Department of Caffeine didn't serve us great coffee. Probably it's because Iced Latte which is easy to screw up. I drink coffee A LOT and I know when I'm served average coffee. I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, but it's quite a heartache when I drink an average cup of coffee after paying a substantial amount of money (S$6.50!). The Iced Latte was okay; it tasted more like coffee-flavoured milk. I should have ordered the aeropress or handybrew!! Next time, definitely ordering another different cup!


Kengyang ordered the Chicken Fillet Sandwich and oh my gosh it was HUGE. 


For S$15 (no taxes!), this was a good value. The chicken fillet is fried to perfection and wow even the bread was excellent. I had to control myself and let the man eat his sandwich, haha!


I ordered the Sundried Tomato & Herb Waffles and it was GROUNDBREAKING. Waffles was cooked perfectly - extra crispy on the outside and fluffy soft on the inside. Scrambled eggs was a little too dry but it was actually good that it was a tad dry because then it wouldn't make the waffles soggy so quickly! 

The star of this dish was definitely the waffles. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday but my cholesterol level will be hitting the roof so sadly this can only be occasional treats. :(

The maple bacon jam was strange at first, but the more I ate, the more I wanted more! It's really sweet but very queerly, every single bite left a bacon-y aftertaste, which is always welcome in my life. Bacon everything!!


We ended with an order of the famous Buttermilk Waffles with Butter Rum Bananas. It's crazy how much we ate, but very miraculously, I didn't feel full at all! I think it's my tummy reacting to the amazing waffles I ate. "Give me more! Fill me up with all that waffles!!" - That's probably what my tummy exclaimed if it could talk. :P 

This serving of waffles was quite different from the one that I had for my main dish. The waffles was still prepared excellently, but this time the bananas were the star! They were SOOOOOO GOOD. Of course, the premium vanilla ice cream they used was equally amazing. Seriously, I have nothing bad to say about this dish. I only have praises and excitement. 


We were so lucky to have visited 2 excellent places in 2 days?! Thank you to all the people that recommended this cafe to us, we certainly enjoyed our time and we definitely would recommend Department of Caffeine to all our friends!

Department of Caffeine
15 Duxton Road, Singapore, 089481
6223 3426
Reservations: deptofcaffeine@gmail.com
Monday - Tuesday: 10:30 - 19:30
Thursday - Friday: 10:30 - 19:30
Saturday - Sunday: 09:30 - 19:30

No comments: