Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: KATE Gel Eye Shadow in BR-1 and GD-2

After I purchased the Maybelline 24-hour Color Tattoo (Review for that coming up soon! I deleted my photos accidentally!), I have been obsessed with gel/cream eyeshadows! So easy to apply (use fingers can already!), and so so long-lasting. 

So, when Watsons sold the Kate Gel Eye Shadows as a set during the Member's Sale for S$10, I HAD TO GET IT. It was quite a challenge finding two wearable colours though, but I managed to get the set with BR-1 and GD-2 in it! 

Let's see how these work! 





Packaging: It's relatively tiny, but around 1.7g of product is provided, which is good because if KATE cosmetics packed less than 1g of product, I will be a disappointed woman. The Maybelline colour tattoo has 4g of product, and so this is definitely way tinier. That's the thing about gel eyeshadow. Due to its gel consistency, you are more likely to use up a gel eyeshadow much faster than powder eyeshadow! So if you get less than 1g of product, it's technically wasting your money right? You can only use it for a couple of months and it's gone! NOT GOOD. So for gel eyeshadows, be sure to get your money's worth!


Colour: BR-1 is a brown eyeshadow with fine silver shimmers and chunkier gold glitters.


Colour: GD-2 is a champagne-based eyeshadow with generous shimmers and glitters. This is like a glitter bonanza (or what I call a nightmare for sensitive eyes).


Pigmentation: To be frank, KATE Gel Eye Shadow in BR-1 and GD-2 are not as pigmented as the Maybelline Color Tattoo. However, I think their less-than-stellar pigmentations are justifiable because of the copious amounts of glitters and because Japanese eyeshadows usually put emphasis on minimal hues rather than on major colour pay-offs.  I'm a happy camper with the glitters! I guess I will apply the Maybelline Color Tattoo first for that great pigmentation, and then apply the KATE Gel Eye Shadow for the glitters!

Swatches taken with camera flash


Application: The first few applications were quite frustrating because the gel eyeshadows somehow managed to dry up, or maybe just the top layer. After I worked my way through the hardened layer, application was more easy breezy!

Longevity: Ohmy, GREAT GREAT GREAT longevity. Especially for BR-1. Can you imagine, after 10 hours of wear, you still have glitters on the correct areas of your upper eyelids? Minimal glitter-shedding and I didn't end up like I had disco-ball cheeks because the glitters stayed put! Amazing!

For those with sensitive eyes: I wouldn't recommend this product if you have sensitive eyes. BR-1 is still okay, but GD-2 has CRAZY amounts of glitter and occasionally some of the glitters make their way into your eyes, and that's not a good situation to be in. So avoid the hassle, and the pain!

Will I buy it again? Yes, but only if there's another combo pack that's priced reasonably. As an individual product, I will not buy the KATE Gel Eye Shadow again because I think the retail price (I'm not sure how much, but nearing S$20 or slightly above S$20) is too much for 1.7g of product!

No comments: