Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: e.l.f. studio Eyebrow Kit in medium

I have been paying attention to my eyebrows lately. It's weird because I used to ignore them and let them grow till they look like caterpillars. Then I trimmed my brows, and I realised how important it is to have nice, proper and neat eyebrows. They really do make your face look more three dimensional (like not so flat lah) and sometimes well-trimmed and properly filled in eyebrows make you look more awake! 

I only have ONE eyebrow product, yes very embarrassing I know. That's why I'm looking out for more eyebrow products! Since I'm still quite new to it, I don't really want to spend a bomb on eyebrow products. Hence, I was quite excited when I saw the e.l.f. studio Eyebrow Kit in medium at the smoochiezz's stand at Tanjong Pagar MRT! I bought it for S$7 and the price is definitely cheaper than drugstore eyebrow kits. I read so many great reviews too so I was stoked!


The e.l.f. studio Eyebrow Kit promises to do the following:



Ingredients list




Packaging: I have always thought of e.l.f studio's packaging as being similar to NARS's packaging. Of course the quality of the e.l.f studio one is not as good, but there's nothing to complain about really. The mirror provided is also quite substantial. A great size for when you want to touch-up your eyebrow look. I will not recommend throwing away the plastic cover though (as seen from the first product photo), because it acts as a shield between the products and the mirror. Getting powder and wax on the mirror is not a pleasant situation, so keeping the plastic cover is a must!


Brush: The brush included is surprisingly of above-average quality. With reference to the photo above, the left side is supposed to be for the powder (for setting the brow wax), and the right side is for applying the brow wax. The left brush is very very soft and it's a good brush for people with thicker and fuller brows. Those with thinner brows will not like it because the brush is quite huge and it covers a bigger area. I still have trouble using the right side brush. It's good for drawing precise lines but the problem is when I use it to dab on the brow wax, the brush head splits into two? Then application gets really troublesome because the line drawn is not uniform! I still don't know what's the problem. BAH! I got so irritated, I started using an eyeliner brush instead. Worked so much better!

Swatch of brow wax, taken with camera flash

Swatch of brow wax + brow powder, taken with camera flash

Separate swatches of brow wax and brow powder, taken with camera flash.
Pigmentation: The pigmentation from the brow wax is stellar. It's so good that I'm scared I will apply way too much on my brows. But everything's good because for some weird reason, the wax applied lightly on my brows and I could build up the colour! Great product! The brow powder doesn't have much pigmentation but that's expected because the brow powder is supposed to set the wax and not to add more colour. So, all is well in the pigmentation world!



Application: I didn't like applying the brow wax with the given brush so I used my eyeliner brush instead and it worked just as well! The wax applies smoothly and it doesn't dry quickly, which means you have time to slowly shape your brows. If you realise from the above photos, the pigmentation is not so strong on the brows right? I personally like it that way. I was so scared I would look like a clown! Thankfully, it applied lightly, and yet it could fill up the holes! YAY to e.l.f. studio Eyebrow Kit!

Longevity: This product lasts a long long long long time, even under the crazy Singapore weather conditions. I'm super impressed at how long-lasting it is! The application didn't smudge or fade away. It stayed put for for an entire day and I didn't have to touch up at all.

Will I buy it again? Yes. Of course I will be getting eyebrow products from other brands as well, but I have a feeling at the end of the day, I will go back to the e.l.f. studio Eyebrow Kit again. It's foolproof (perfect for beginners) and it applies beautifully!

No comments: