Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Heroine Make Volume & Curl Mascara

I am always on the lookout for great Japanese mascaras, and the Heroine Make Volume & Curl Mascara has been on my list for a long time. I didn't buy it sooner because the pricetag simply didn't register in my head. I couldn't bring myself to pay more than 20 bucks for a drugstore mascara. 

I finally found it in Sasa during my Hong Kong trip, and it was sold together with a Kiss Me Heroine Beauty Perfect Water Sunscreen for HKD75! That bundle cost less than S$14! Amazing deal, hence I had to get it! 




Packaging: a beautiful purplish pink tube with 6g of product. I know the photo below doesn't show its true packaging colour, but it really is a beautiful wand! Kudos to Japanese brands for making their products so pretty and princess-y. It catches your attention, it registers in your brain, and then suddenly you are transported into a scenario whereby you are already paying for the product. Crazy spooky I tell you.

Claims:

  • Long-lasting
  • Waterproof
  • Contains fibres to lengthen your lashes
  • Contains curly polymer to hold your curl!



Brush design: It's an odd one. It shaped like an elongated hourglass. This design works because during application, tiny eyelashes at the inner corner of the eyes can be reached easily. A typical mascara with the straight brush will concentrate the product in the middle of the eyelashes, creating unsightly clumps. Ew max. This skinny-waist design helps to balance out the amount of product applied on all the eyelashes, not just the middle! Also, the curved design really does help with curling your lashes.

HOWEVER, I will not advise anyone to use this on their lower lashes. It's a horrendous mess, and it's precisely because of the brush design. Lower lashes are shorter and finer in general, and so they need a mascara brush that's straight and tiny. Definitely not this one. I had a hard time applying this mascara on my lower lashes and I will NEVER do something so foolish every again.



CAN YOU SEE THOSE MIRACULOUS TINY FIBRES? :D

Lengthening: Those fibres work their asses off! It's crazy lengthening. To be honest, I have long eyelashes to begin with, so I didn't have high hopes for this product, but oohlala~ it does a bloody good job in lengthening the lashes. Bravo fibres!!

Volumising: The volumising factor is rather blah in my opinion. However, I was quite impressed at how this mascara does not clump my lashes at all! I applied three coats and they were still separated and pretty! Usually, two coats will be more than enough and another will be a nightmare full of clumping horror. But, this didn't clump at all. So yay to that!

Curling: I'm highly unconvinced. It's either my lashes are too straight and stubborn or this mascara does nothing in terms of curling. It doesn't make sense though because the brush design should help in curling! My take on this is that the formulation of this product is too runny. If it's a tad thicker, it will be a curling masterpiece!

Longevity: Amazeballs. Japanese mascaras never fail to impress me in terms of longevity. Even under this scorching Singapore sun!

Removal: To sum it up, removal was something that I prefer not to do. Japanese mascaras are a bitch when it comes to removal. They just are so heavy-duty that they wanna cling on to your lashes like crazy! To prevent frustration and lash-pulling during removal, I suggest using a good Japanese oil-based make up remover for products like these. And don't use a cotton pad and wipe sideways, that doesn't help at all. You have to wipe downwards; when you start to see fibres coming off, that's when you know your mascara is removed!

Will I buy it again? As much as I want too, I think I will try other Japanese brands. I'm not saying that this is a bad product. It's actually quite a great product, but you know the relationship between mascaras and me is like one-night-stands - I just need a new one every single time! HEHEHE :D

No comments: