Saturday, November 26, 2011

Review: Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner in 0L

This was purchased together with the mascara, you can read the review for the Smoky Lash mascara here: http://fitrina-inamorata.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-make-up-forever-smoky-lash.html

Anyway, this was also one of the biggest hits of Makeup Forever products (along with the mascara, the HD foundations and the HD blushes, etc) and I remembered I wanted it so bad when I saw it in a Christmas Edition Makeup Forever Eyeliner Set that had all their eyeliners. That set retailed for S$500 in Sephora. Which student in the right mind will buy S$500 worth of eyeliners?!

Disappointment aside, a full year has passed and I managed to get my hands on the sample-size eyeliner in 0L for S$5 on sg-beauty. Call me meagre/poor/cheapo, I'd rather get the sample one first, like it very very much, and then save up to get a full-sized one. Imagine the horror if I pay close to S$40 bucks for an eyeliner that DOES NOT work up to my standards? That will be painful and I will never forgive myself for it.

ANYWAY, coming back to the eyeliner, it was also brand new and in this post I'm going to compare it heavily with Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencils in Zero and Perversion.

And if you are lazy to read on and just want to know who's the ultimate winner: Urban Decay hands down. (Though there's one aspect that MUF wins over Urban Decay and you may want to read on to find out what that is, HEHEHE)


Let me start with a few before-and-after photos of myself (ok, my eye) before application of the eyeliner and after application of the eyeliner.

Before - looking horribly dead and soul-less


After - eyeliner really does perk you up, GET ONE GIRLS AND LEARN HOW TO APPLY PROPERLY.


Before


After


Application was quite difficult with this eyeliner. I was so used to the smooth and oil pastel-like texture of UD's eyeliners that I had a problem applying this. The lead is much harder and much more solid. Hence, more pressure is needed when applying the eyeliner on the lids; I even had to resort to pulling my eyelids a wee bit more to allow smooth application. NOT GOOD because pulling your eyelids frequently actually leads to wrinkles. Uh-oh.

Another problem I had also had to do with the too-solid texture. Usually when I apply my UD eyeliners, I like to go over them for more colour pay-off. So I did that with this eyeliner too, but sadly, the hard lead actually stripped off the eyeliner that was already on the lid when I used it to go over the area a second time. So i ended up with weird bald empty patches on that area. UGLY, and I had to apply more and more to cover those patches up. This takes too much time and I'm all for saving time when applying makeup.

Let's do a colour comparison with UD Eyeliners!

Left: Makeup Forever Eyeliner
Centre: UD in Zero
Right: UD in Perversion

Nope, cannot compare at all with Perversion in terms of colour and pigmentation. How can 2 BLACK eyeliners be so different?!

Actually from this photo, you can see that MUF eyeliner is more matte than the UD ones (which glistened under the camera flash). I think that's the reason why the lead is harder.


WATER TEST

All eyeliners passed with flying colours after I put my hand under the running tap water.


After a vigorous rub, all still proved to be quite trustworthy, though MUF eyeliner is showing a little bit more weakness.


After so much negativity, I ought to give this eyeliner some awesome credit for this trait: It stays on like a boss, and do not transfer to the lower lashline AT ALL.

With UD eyeliners, because they are so smooth and soft, they tend to transfer to the lower lashline, causing panda eyes which are unsightly and super eww. With the Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner, the eyeliner actually stayed quite well in its own place. No transferring even after a full day! SO AWESOME.

It's a good sample, but I don't think I will fork out the money to buy the full-sized one. I'm sticking to my Urban Decay babies! :)

2 comments:

Balls Of Beauty said...

although the MUFE didnt work out best u could use it as ur base for staying power than go over it with the UD perversion!! thanx for the post. i LOOOVE the perv but i was thinkin of grabbin the MUFE too!

Fitrina Lim said...

Glad you enjoyed the post! :) I'm still sticking with my UD Perversion, and it's freaking awesome!!!!