Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: elf Studio Complete Coverage Concealer

I needed a concealer badly because my other concealers were running low and the medicine that I have been taking is too strong for my skin and so I have many surprise break-outs on my face, HENCE I NEED A CONCEALER BADLY!!

I bought elf Studio Complete Coverage Concealer for S$6 at smoochiezz flea and I guess it's a reasonable price, though buying online will cost a mere US$3, add shipping into that and it will not exceed S$5. However, you don't need to wait and you don't have to suffer from the risk of lost mail, and so S$6 is highly reasonable. If you compare it to other concealers in the market, be it drugstore or departmental store, S$6 is TOO CHEAP.

I was contemplating between Light and Medium, and ended up getting Medium because my tan is too persistent.

Medium is a good match for olive-skin tones!



With four different colours, this concealer is perfect for those with uneven skin tones. For example, the skin under my eyes are darker than the rest of the face, and so the lighter shades are able to lighten those areas to make my face look more balanced.


The kit also comes with a tiny concealer brush. The brush feels good and sturdy but I have yet to use it because I do not like applying cream concealer using a brush because of the streaking factor.

Perhaps I will use the brush to apply powder concealers over the cream concealer on days that I want to go light on the face and not pile on liquid foundations or BB Creams.


Swatches in flash.

I'm so sorry if you can't really make out the different shades, but that's good thing right? Means the shades match my skin perfectly! :)


This concealer has a weird texture. The first time I opened it, there were water droplets on the surfaces, and so I had to dry that off. When I start to work my finger into the concealers, I noticed this change in texture, in which the concealer went from being dry and hard to extremely creamy and runny. Metaphorically, it's like eating a boiled egg, and then when you cut through, the runny eggyolk rushes out. So so weird.

However, after around 5 minutes of mixing, the texture became more even and now it's manageable.

The coverage of this concealer is not fantastic but good enough for people with minor blemishes and those who want to cover dark eye rings. The concealer cannot cover a pimple or redness caused by a pimple, which is very annoying because that's what I mostly have on my face right now. It works wonders for my under-eyes though.

Another negative trait is that after the first application of the concealer, all other applications become extremely cakey. There are always moments when you realise that you need more coverage on a spot and hence you top-up your dosages. This concealer is not designed for that. I think it has got to do with the formulation. Every time I apply a second layer, I look like I'm ready to go for a circus act or something, my face looks so cakey! :(

The lasting power of the concealer is also another facepalm moment. If I don't set the concealer with a powder concealer, my impurities will be visible after a mere 2 hours or so! What a letdown!

Conclusion: I thought I will like it because of the perfect colour match and the easy-on-the-wallet price, but it delivers none of its promises. I guess I have to search for another concealer.

No comments: