Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: L'oreal Double Extension Mascara with Renewal Serum

The return of the L'oreal double-wand mascaras. I'm proud to say that I have all of their double-wand mascaras now, but I'm quite irked to say that they all still fail me badly.

Perhaps this L'oreal Double Extension Mascara with Renewal Serum is quite different because I'm applying some goodness on my lashes to make them grow longer and stronger, however, the volumising and lengthening factors are still quite mediocre.

I got mine thrifted online because I refuse to pay its hefty price tag at Watsons. S$30 (thereabout) for a freaking drugstore mascara is too much. Yes I know the Renewal Serum is something different from other drugstore mascaras, but since you are marketing the brand as drugstore, it's not fair to the consumers to attach such an expensive price on it when they can get a departmental store one if they add a couple or more bucks.

I realise I have a bad habit of crafting long sentences. Random. :D


Photos are not that fantastic this time. My G11 is giving problems and I have no patience to fix it; might as well get another camera? :P

The primer side.

Many beginners wonder why is there a need of a mascara primer! My answer to that is simple: if you are gifted with long, luscious lashes then you can skip the primer, but if you have the typical short, straight Asian lashes, then you may want to use a mascara primer because it helps coats the lashes with a layer of fibres that give the illusion of longer lashes after applying the the actual mascara.


The mascara.

The thing about all L'oreal double-wand mascaras is that the wands are almost similar. Even this one is kind of similar to the old generations.

I guess the only difference is that it contains the renewal serum now.

The thing about buying thrifted mascara is that after you clean the wand (must clean because you never know what eye disease the previous user has), and you re-insert the wand into the tube, you find that the formula has somewhat gone a little bit dryer. This is a very desirable situation if you want your curled lashes to hold and have some volume. A wet formula will only weigh the lashes down and sometimes can get quite messy.



First layer.



Second layer - 1st mascara coat


2nd mascara coat.

To be fair to the mascara, I didn't curl my lashes prior to usage, so perhaps my lashes were too straight to salvage.


Over-all I think it's an above average mascara.
  • Renewal Serum helps to nourish your lashes.
  • Decent lengthening due the the primer.
  • Cute packaging (hey, it's GOLD on one side!)
  • Long handles on both sides provide better grip, hence giving better control.
Not so thrilled by the dear price tag and the lack of volumising capability though!

No comments: