Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: elf Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer

Another item that I purchased during the smochiezz flea. I have forgotten the price though; it was somewhere between S$6-S$10.

I was rather excited for this primer because dulcecandy raved about it in one of her videos and I'm a sucker for her words, so I was major happy when I finally got this product!



It promised a "flawless and smooth canvas", and can "combat oily, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines to result in a natural youthful looking radiance". Also, it will "prepare your skin so makeup goes on evenly for a lasting satin finish".

Am I convert? I'm still trying the product out but based on first impressions, not so.


The bottle itself looks sturdy and wholesome, but the problem is that piece of thick glass surrounding the vial of product. That glass is a THICK glass. So actually, even when the bottle looks larger than the normal primer size, it actually houses less amount of primer. I feel cheated, but what can I do? I paid a reasonably meagre amount for this baby, so I guess I can't expect a huge container of primer, can I?


The actual size of the primer, compared to an O.P.I nail polish bottle.

Another letdown was the bottle pump, although I must say I'm quite pleased that it was a pump - good for hygiene and convenience! The problem rooted from the consistency of the product. This primer is a thick primer, and so sometimes a pump is not a good tool to dispense the product. This is because what the pump pumps out is actually from the middle of the bottle, and when the product runs out from the middle, it will become too thick and it will cling to the sides, meaning that nothing will be pumped out even though there is still so much product left!
(This is similar to Urban Decay Primer Potion problem whereby the scooper is unable to reach to the product wholly - a reason why so many people decapitated the product so as to get the leftovers out.)

And what is with the white container? I can't even see how much product is left! Up till now, I sound like a big whining baby. HAHA.


The primer itself is a thick, clear gel. The consistency is thicker than usual primers, but it blends out beautifully and smoothly. This is extremely good for those with huge pores around the nose area because it does make an even canvass for your foundation!

A tiny amount is needed for the entire face - one full pump is too much. I used a full pump for the first time and that resulted in a nightmare because too much product can actually coagulate and you are left with white strings on your face. Yikes.

So be very stingy with the amount used because a little goes a long, long way.

This primer also has a very queer texture. One that resembles that old Revlon gimmick product: the liquid foundation that turns into powder when applied and blended. This primer feels just like that! It's quite good actually, because you don't feel like you are layering cream after liquid after cream, and hence this reduces to feeling of cakey-ness. Bravo to that!


Whether or not my foundation lasted me longer than usual, that is something I have yet to find out. However, the primer does live up to some of its promises. The first impression was horrid, and I am quite skeptical about the design of the product. But, this primer does have its plus points, and with that cheap pricetag, I guess I have a new primer to turn to now.

Am I a convert now? Maaaaybbbeeee.

No comments: