Thursday, June 25, 2015

Quick Review: Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder VS Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Applying finishing powder is a must in my everyday makeup routine because of my excessively oily skin. The oiliness of my skin has somewhat improved because I have been going for freezing non-ablative laser sessions so it's okay for me to lay off the finishing powder application. However, if I don't do that, I feel INCOMPLETTTEEEEE~~ (please adjust the tune to Backstreet Boys' song. Sorry, this song just played on my spotify so....) 

I have two favourites at the moment and I really cannot decide which is the better one if I don't consider the price point. Both are my holy grail products for the finishing powder category. On some days I feel like the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder is doing a better job, but on other days I'm on Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder's team. Very confusing, so I have decided to love both. 

Here are some product specs and claims:

Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder
  • Cost: less than S$10 (I got it for S$8.50 on Qoo10 with free shipping) for 5g of product
  • Highlighted ingredients: Jeju mineral powder, Jeju green tea and mint
  • Claims: Double-sebum control system controls sebum secretion so well that you can forget about using oil control paper/oil blotting sheets.
  • Other uses: Dry shampoo, eye primer
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
  • Cost: S$48 for around 8.5g of product (available at Sephora)
  • Highlighted ingredients: Amazonian clay
  • Claims: Keeps makeup looking fresh without being chalky and can diffuse imperfections
  • Other uses: can be used alone as treatment to reap benefits of Amazonian clay
So at first glance, the Innisfree one is definitely a much cheaper alternative - it's more than 5 times cheaper than Tarte. The reason why I cannot judge based on price right now is because I got the Tarte one in deluxe sample size free when I bought the Christmas special set. The deluxe sample has around 2g of product and so it's around S$11.50 worth of product. 

Even though both finishing powders seem to be for the same purpose (control oil, mattify skin etc), both are strangely different when it comes to application outcome. 



Here's a summarised breakdown of what I think about these finishing powders:

Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder
  • Slightly more refreshing scent due to inclusion of mint.
  • Intensity is doubled when you use the puff - you may look way too white - so I will suggest using a soft all-over face brush instead.
  • Controls oil decently. My face looks put together and relatively oil-free for a longer period of time than if I exclude this from my makeup routine. 
  • After 10 hours of wear, skin may look a little bit patchy around the nose area. Not sure if it's my foundation or if it's this product.
  • Please do not use it as dry shampoo. My hair roots looked....dusty. O_O
  • Longevity: 9-10 hours
  • Great to use if you have no acne scarrings and are only concerned with oily skin. This will stick to the acne scars and make the dry skin in that area more obvious. 
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
  • No standout scent. Great if you don't like fragrances in your products.
  • No given puff, so I used only my face brush and application was delightful. Skin feels smooth after application.
  • Controls oil decently as well. Not much difference from Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder.
  • Longevity: 9-10 hours
  • This finishing powder can be used even when you have blemishes. It will just settle nicely on top of the blemishes and it will not emphasize the dry areas. 

I used both the Innisfree one and the Tarte one interchangeably. If I feel like I have way too many blemishes on my skin, then I will use the Tarte one. If everything's looking okay, I will use the Innisfree one. So, it's great to have both! 

But of course, taking the price point into consideration, the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder is much more superior because it does almost the same thing as the Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder. It's a great dupe! 

So which one do you think is a better finishing powder? 

No comments: