Sunday, November 16, 2014

Review: Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color in Rose-bud and Ravin' Raisin

Lately, I've been having a lipstick kick. Usually, I hate lipsticks because of how high maintenance they are - you need to apply properly (especially for bright colours) and make sure none gets on your teeth, you need to eat and drink more carefully and you need to keep reapplying to ensure even pigmentation throughout the day. Some lipsticks are also so sticky that my hair sticks to my lips every single time the wind blows (this is also why I avoid lip glosses at all cost). But, I cannot deny that lipsticks add pizzazz to a boring everyday makeup look and they are starting to prove their importance in my makeup repertoire now. 

The strange thing about me is that I hate nude lipsticks or those with shades that are very similar to my own lip colour. Like that I spend the money for what right?? I gravitate towards brighter or deeper colours - mostly bright reds - and now I'm starting to love deep burgundy and purplish colours. So vampy and edgy. Extremely high maintenance, but I'm going for it!

I didn't want to spend a bomb on my first purplish lipstick so I browsed ShoppingDistrict.net and found the Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color for only S$8.50 each. Very affordable indeed - getting one seems measly, so I bought two :D

I bought 904B Rose-bud (a gorgeous mid-tone rose coral shade) and 916D Ravin' Raisin (a vampy medium pink-purple with mauve undertones). 

Left: Rose-bud
Right: Ravin' Raisin

Left: Rose-bud
Right: Ravin' Raisin
Packaging: I love the transparent cap - saves so much time when you're in a hurry. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about. It's S$8.50 apiece, you can't really expect a whole lot from the packaging. I'd rather have great product than great packaging (quite difficult to get both at this price, it's US$2.29 each!!).

Left: Rose-bud
Right: Ravin' Raisin
Natural lighting

Left: Rose-bud
Right: Ravin' Raisin
With camera flash
Pigmentation: Wow, wow, wow. I wasn't expecting such incredible colour payoff, but these Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Colors are beyond amazing. I just swiped the lipsticks once at the back of my hand, and I got full pigmentation swatches immediately - just look at the above two photos, ONE SWIPE AH, ONE SWIPE. 

Application: These lipsticks apply smoothly and evenly. For Ravin' Raisin, I'll suggest applying with a lip brush to minimise mistakes, especially at the corners of the mouth. Both shades apply with a slight sheen, but eventually dry off semi-matte after a couple of minutes. If you have very dry lips, please moisturise your lips with a good lip balm before applying these Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Colors because if not, the lipstick will settle into those dry areas and you end up having patchy, flaky lips. Not glam at all. 

Rose-bud on lips

Ravin' Raisin on lips

Ravin' Raisin on lips
Longevity: Wet n Wild added a "megalast" to this product name, but I don't think it's mega lasting at all. It all depends on the shade actually. Rose-bud can last a good 3-4 hours because the colour is closer to my lip colour than Ravin' Raisin, so I don't really notice the difference. However, for Ravin' Raisin, it only looked intact for maximum 2 hours. On both days, I drank coffee without straws, so yah a lot of the colour transferred to the cup. I'm sure if I'm more cautious and use straws, the lipsticks will last longer.

Will I buy it again?: I'm currently expanding my lipstick horizon. The Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color is an affordable buy, so if you want to be adventurous with your colour selection but don't want to spend so much, get these!

Have a great Sunday guys! Hope this has been helpful! :)

No comments: