Sunday, September 21, 2014

Recent reads: Worlds of Tsukuru Tazaki and Tsukiko Omachi


There's something strangely charming about Haruki Murakami's books. Give them to someone new and they wouldn't be able to take the bizarre stories. The first Murakami book that I read was 1Q84 and I remembered thinking how the book was freaking ridiculous. 1Q84 started with a taxi ride on a congested road. That's it. Just a simple taxi ride on a congested road. The more ridiculous the story got, the more I was sucked in into the world of Aomame and Tengo. Ohmy, I really loved that book. I actually had it on my iBooks, but I once was done (I finished reading it at the end of my Japan graduation trip. Very apt.), I decided to get the hard copy for future rereads. After that book, I have purchased almost all of Murakami's works. My favourite currently is Kafka on the Shore. Actually, wait, maybe The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Hmm. I cannot decide...

The emptiness I get after completing a Murakami book is weirdly addictive. It goes from whatthefuck to self-reflection, and then to contentment. 

So, yes, I purchased Haruki Murakami's latest (number 13!) novel - Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. As I was browsing bookdepository.com, I saw Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami and bought it too - motivated by pure curiosity. 

I have started on Strange Weather in Tokyo and it's surprisingly good. I'm hooked. It's just a book written to amplify two characters' loneliness, but aiyoh just very good lah. 

My experience with Book Depository was not as pleasant as I wanted it to be. The books were definitely cheaper than in stores, but delivery took almost a month. I wanted to get these books for my Copenhagen trip - nope, no such luck. 

Ok, back to Strange Weather in Tokyo!

Have a great weekend guys! :) 

1 comment:

Anhy said...

You've described it perfectly! I also feel a kind of emptiness after finishing a Murakami novel, it's weird, but yes, addicting. And his words are in so many ways true, what he delivers throught he most bizare stories... he is truely a genius! My first Murakmai was Norwegian Wood btw ^^
I still need to read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki though. And Strange Weather in Tokyo sounds very interesting as well. Thanks for the recommendation!