Friday, August 29, 2014

Review: Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify Blemish Balm Cream

In my honest opinion, the current BB cream scene is lacking, especially in the acne-prone skin department. We have countless BB creams for brightening, for hydrating, for anti-ageing, but very few for those with acne problems. It doesn't really make sense because there are a lot of potential users who have acne-prone skin and are looking for a suitable BB cream because they are looking for something less potent than a liquid foundation. It's a huge market!

I was, of course, extremely excited when I found out about the Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify Blemish Balm Cream. It's available on luxola and also on sale in certain Watsons stores. It's not affordable though. The Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify BB Cream retails for S$46 on Luxola and that's certainly not cheap for a BB cream. I bought mine when Luxola had their pop-up 30%-off promotion. 



Ingredients list



The Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify BB Cream is marketed to be:

  • light and feather-weight
  • useful for anti-acne, oil-control, soothing, hydrating, whitening and UV protection
  • able to conceal imperfections without pore inflammation
  • able to reduce redness
  • able to provide a matte, yet hydrated finish
So, am I a satisfied user of this BB Cream? 
To be frank, I used to hate it, but now I don't hate it so much. The main reason being I used this BB Cream when I had my crazy breakouts and also after I went for anti-acne facials. The BB Cream worked differently for the two periods and hence I'll be reviewing this BB Cream using these two periods. 






Packaging: The pale green packaging looks clinical and I think a clinical outlook is good for a product that aims to tackle acne problem. The dispenser was also sealed so that's excellent on the hygiene front.


Consistency: I don't understand why this was marketed as a light and feather-weight BB Cream because when I used it, I had difficulty blending it out because it was so thick. Maybe the company was describing the light-weight feeling after the BB Cream has been blended out? When I used this BB Cream, I couldn't dot the product all around my face and then blend it out because once the right side was blended, the left side and forehead would be really thick and it took extra effort to blend out the other areas. Dried way too fast! I had to dot the product on one area first, then blend, then dot another area, then blend.

Coverage and pigmentation:
During breakout - I will not suggest those with a lot of acne to use this BB Cream because it will accentuate the problematic areas. I had many ripened pimples the first few times I used it and the pimples looked way more obvious even after I applied my trusted loose powder. It will definitely cover areas with slight redness, but the coverage will not be enough for painful, pus-filled pimples. I didn't like the consistency and how it made my pimples look more pronounced so I stopped using it.

After facials - After 3 sessions of facials, I was left with acne scarring and so I decided to give the Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify BB Cream another try. The consistency is not something that will change because I went for facials so I have no change in opinion for that part. However, the application process became more pleasant. My acne scars were adequately concealed and sometimes a concealer was not needed anymore. Just a quick touch of loose powder and my face makeup was done. Hence, I have come to a conclusion that this BB Cream will be a better fit for users who have oily-skin and acne scars, and want to prevent future acne breakouts, and have no painful ripened pimples on the skin.

One more thing regarding the pigmentation, the Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify BB Cream has quite a greyish tinge when blended out. It's quite strange. My skin has warm undertones and whenever I use this BB Cream, my skintone will alter to one that has way too much cool undertones. This is the reason why I cannot just go out with this BB Cream on my face; I must top it off with my powder/loose powder that will bring back some warmth to my face. Those with cool undertones, you will face no such problems.


Longevity: The longevity of the Dr. Wu Acnecur Mattify BB Cream is the same for me no matter what my skin condition is. Initially, it will produce a nice matte effect. But then, it gets oily after 4-5 hours, which is quite disappointing for a mattifying BB cream. But of course, please take into consideration my extremely oily skin.

The great thing about this product is it did not cause a bad reaction to my skin. I always try new face cosmetics with great caution because of how acne-prone my face is. So, the fact that this didn't cause breakouts already made me a happy camper.

Will I buy it again? I don't think so. It is a decent product if you want to conceal acne scars. But, the consistency puts me off the product. I'm sure the BB Cream industry will expand soon to include more acne-prone-skin-friendly products.

Hope this has been useful! Have a great day ahead guys! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good review. Thanks for taking the time