Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder

A rather exciting review post. I've been wanting to write about the L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder because the first few applications were amazing, but I decided to test it out for a couple more weeks before I give you guys my feedback on this! 

L'oreal did a great job in disseminating information about their latest product online. They approached popular lifestyle bloggers and I got to know of this amazing product from these blogs. Good marketing plan, L'oreal! It's quite obvious that their plan worked hugely to their advantage because I had to visit 3 different Watsons before I could purchase the L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder in my shade. 

My shade is N2 Nude Vanilla and this retails for S$30.90. Fortunately, I got this during a sale, so I paid less than S$25 for mine. 

The first thing that will catch your attention - OMG SO PINK?! 
If you absolutely detest pink, then this may not be the product that you want to have. Or maybe you can just buy, hide it at home and apply before going out because the product is quite stellar! 


The L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder has a lot of oily-skin friendly claims:

  • Shine resistance of up to 12 hours
  • Powerful sebum absorbant
  • "Just-out-of-shower fresh finish and sensation" - Wahlao this one a bit pushing it haha
  • Poreless skin
  • Great for priming the skin 
  • Minimize appearance of imperfections
  • Ultra sensorial velvety soft touch
Those are a lot of huge claims. To be honest, the powder didn't work that miraculously on me. However, I still love it! For those with extremely oily skin, this powder will work for around 5-6 hours? 5-6 hours is only half the claimed 12 hours, but if you have EXTREMELY OILY skin, you will understand that 5-6 hours of relatively shine-free skin is like a miracle. 

To give you an example - if I don't include this powder in my makeup routine, my skin will get oily once I step into office; that's like 2 hours after application. Sigh~~ 



Ingredient List


Packaging: Pink, pink, PINK! Thank goodness the interior of this product is not pink. Phew. I'm not a pink fan but for the amazing product, I'm willing to shelf my negative feelings for the colour. This contains 6.5g of product, which is significantly less than what I'm used to. I have been using the ZA Two-Way Foundation since secondary school (10 years already!!!) and that has 9g of powder.


Colour: N2 Nude Vanilla is a little too pale for me. I normally use OC10 for ZA Two-Way Foundation. I don't use this powder on its own so it's not such a huge problem.


From left to right:
1. Bare skin
2. One swipe of L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder (no concealer)
2. Two swipes of L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder (no concealer)
Application: On its own, the L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder can be quite drying, especially if you have dry skin. The powder applies smoothly and the provided sponge applicator is quite useful in providing a dense application. There's a tendency for the powder to cake up after the second application, so I will recommend you to stop at one application. Two applications maximum if you have more blemishes to conceal.

For those with more problematic skin, the L'oreal Mat Magique All-In-One Matte Transforming Powder can be used as a finishing powder after your usual BB Cream/Liquid Foundation and concealer routine. Use a less dense, face brush and you will get the perfect look. A dense brush will cake up your face and that is not the look that we should desire for!

Mattifying? Oh yes, definitely. I had relatively matte skin 5 hours after application and I was so impressed! No other powder has lasted me more than 2-3 hours in the oil-control department so this is amazing! If you have normal-combination skin, the mattifying effect would probably last longer on you.

Concealing? For those blessed with few imperfections, this powder is good enough be used on its own. You won't even need concealing because it covers redness quite well. However, if you have a lot of acne scars, pimples and all those face demons, then this will be better as a finishing powder.

Touching up: After using this for more than 2 weeks, I have come to realise that I have to blot thoroughly before any touch-ups. If not, there will be powder coagulated at the oily parts and that's nasty. Hence, quick tip for touch-ups: blot and make sure there are no shiny parts before touching up!

Will I buy it again? As of now, this is the best mattifying powder that I have ever tried. 5-6 hours of mattifying and shine-free effect may not be ideal for some of you, but for an oily mess like me, it's more than sufficient and frankly, quite a miracle. Also, this didn't break me out (halelujah!!). Hence, yes, I will buy this again!

Hopefully this has been useful! Have a great day ahead guys! :)

No comments: