Thursday, June 5, 2014

Review: The Body Show InstaBlur

When I heard about the official release of The Body Shop Instablur, I knew I had to get one to try and see if it really is as magical and perfecting as it claims. 

The Body Shop Instablur retails for S$32.90 at The Body Shop outlets nationwide. I was lucky enough to have a S$15 discount from Perkd, and so I purchased mine for only S$17.90! A great deal! 

For S$32.90, you get 25ml (0.84 US fl oz) of product. 25ml may seem a little meagre, but a little bit of the product goes a long way so I can assure you that the 25ml will last you a long, long time. 

The Body Shop Instablur claims to have 5 perfecting characteristics:
  • Shine Controlling for up to 12h
  • Reduces appearance of pores
  • Blemish Hiding
  • Complexion Unifying
  • Make-up Extending
I'm not exactly sure what "complexion unifying" really mean, but The Body Shop Instablur certainly does live up to its other claims. 





Ingredients List


Packaging: The Body Shop Instablur comes in a classy, white tube and when you unscrew the black cap, the opening is sealed, which is a plus point for those who are concerned with hygiene. It's good to know that no other fingers/hands have touched the opening of the product. Overall, I like the product packaging; it has a certain laboratory, disinfectant factor to it, which makes me more assured of the cleanliness and the effect that it has on my skin. It's strange how packaging can change the perception of effectiveness of a product. When I use this, I don't feel like it's going to cause breakouts. I feel like it's going to work in concealing them!


Texture and consistency: The Body Shop Instablur has a deceivingly waxy texture that blends out to a dry, matte and smooth consistency. I think this is contributed by the first ingredient listed, which is Isononanoate, and it's a skin conditioning emollient that leaves that silky, smooth feeling after application.

If you compare the photo above (product on skin), and the photo below (product blended out on skin), you can definitely see a marked difference in terms of the obviousness of the lines. I did not alter/edit the below photo in any way possible. Quite impressive eh?


Application: A little bit of The Body Shop Instablur will suffice for the entire T-zone and jawline area. When I apply my BB Cream/liquid foundation over it, it's quite obvious that the BB Cream/liquid foundation no longer seeps in into the huge pores that I have, making them more obvious to the naked eye. Instead, the Instablur already filled in those pores and the BB Cream/liquid foundation just glided effortlessly over the Instablur.

Oil and shine control? I'm not convinced that the Instablur will help to control oil and shine for up to 12 hours. However, it does its job well in keeping shine at bay for a good 7-8 hours. Usually, my nose area will be quite oily within the first 3 hours of foundation application. It's a problem that I have been wanting to eliminate and I believe that the Instablur can help me achieve the ultimate shine control! Of course, I have to combine the Instablur with another product (L'oreal Mat Magique! I just tried it and it is amazing! Review coming up soon), but as a makeup primer, The Body Shop Instablur performs beyond my expectations.

Pores and blemish hiding? The Instablur does a good job in concealing the pores and acne scars. The photo below may seem a little bit scary to some of you but it's a close-up lah, of course it's scary haha. My most "pore-some" (HAHA) areas are my nose and the upper cheeks area. I also have acne scars on both cheeks. The Instablur actually does a pretty impressive job in concealing those areas. It's not a perfect concealment but it's definitely much better than if I were to use the BB Cream/liquid foundation alone.


Longevity: The Body Shop Instablur lasts for a good 7-8 hours. I think my skin is way too oily for it to last for the claimed 12 hours.

Caking-up problem: There's one problem that I encountered time and time again after using the Instablur. My skin will look fine for 7-8 hours, then it will get oily. So, my normal routine will be to blot the oily areas and then touch up the areas with loose powder, using my trusted Real Techniques powder brush. Now, after using the Instablur, the areas that I have blotted and touched up will cake up and I can actually see the powder coagulating or curdling in one area. It's very strange. I got rid of this problem by not using the powder brush and replacing it with a normal powder sponge. But still, it's very very strange. Anyone encountered the same problem? How did you fix it?

Will I buy it again? The Body Shop Instablur is a great, great product for those with extremely oily skin and have huge pores and acne scars. It does a fantastic job in controlling shine and as a makeup primer for your next BB Cream/liquid foundation step. Personally, I will only use this during the hot months, when my oil glands go into overdrive mode. Maybe during the cooler months (when my skin is not so oily), I will not use the Instablur as frequently. It's still a good staple to have in your collection though!


Hope this has been useful! Have a great day guys! :)

No comments: