Friday, June 20, 2014

Phil Smith Big It Up! Thickening Volume Cream - MY HAIR HERO

When I was younger (before I turned 21), I had no hair issue. My friends always told me that I had a lot of hair on my head and I wouldn't have to worry about hairfall or hair thinning because I simply had too much hair! So... I didn't really take much care of my hair. I dyed my hair like crazy, even went as far as to DIY bleaching my hair. It was a terrible decision. I had blonde hair for a while and I felt like I was cool but oh gawd now looking back, I looked like a siao nang (or crazy person in Hokkien). Ever since then, my hair condition started to deteriorate. I didn't have major hairfall, but I was definitely experiencing it.

Currently, to some people, I still have a lot of hair on my head, but personally, it's not the same anymore. My hair now is limp and flat and there's barely any volume at all! Short hair with no volume is a nemesis for my huge face. It emphasises the large surface area of my face (sob) and I look super chubby on photos. That's why I was on a mission to get the volume back! Short hair with moderate volume can give the illusion of slimmer face and hello who doesn't want slimmer face? 

I was randomly browsing Luxola one night and chanced upon a 30% midnight sale. THAT'S IT! I have to get my hair products! So, I carted out the Phil Smith Big It Up! Thickening Volume Cream and the Vidal Sassoon Magic Style Activator Treatment for 30% less. YAY! 

The Phil Smith Big It Up! Thickening Volume Cream retails for S$26 for 100ml and the Vidal Sassoon Magic Style Activator Treatment retails for S$5.90 for the 30ml bottle, and S$12.90 for the 100ml bottle

These 2 products are my hair heroes. Why have I not known about them beforehand?!?!?! I have used them daily ever since I got them and the difference is noticeable and I feel immensely happy with the products. LOVE!! 



The Phil Smith Big It Up! Thickening Volume Cream is specially formulated for short to medium-length hairstyles. This is really amazing if you have short hair and you love the bob with the inner curl at the hair ends. The volume that I get after application and blow-drying is manageable and long lasting. You will not get va va voom volume, but there is a marked improvement from limp and flat hair. I stepped out of the house at 8am with nice hair and came home at 8pm with nice hair. Amazing longevity! 


You only need a little product if you have short hair. Remember that you have to use it on towel-dried hair and not dry hair! 

The word "thickening" may intimidate some people, but to be honest, once you run your hands through your hair, you don't feel like you have anything applied. After that you can blow-dry your hair and see the transformation!!! I actually use a round-barrel brush while blow-drying so yes to maximum root lift! 


If you blow-dry your hair frequently, then I suggest that you get a heat protection product for your hair as well. I blow-dry my hair almost every day so I definitely need one. The Vidal Sassoon Magic Style Activator Treatment works amazingly and it's obvious that the product works because when I'm blow-drying and combing through my hair, there are no knots or tangling. My hair was super smooth and actually it helps in making the blow-drying process faster because I no longer need to get rid of tangles and knots using a separate comb. 


After I apply Phil Smith Big It Up! Thickening Volume Cream, I will carry on with my makeup routine, and then once I'm done, I will apply the Vidal Sassoon Magic Style Activator Treatment, with the majority of product being applied on the hair ends. Then I will blow-dry my hair normally. Works like magic!


After almost one week of trying out, I really fell deeply in love with both products. The difference is obvious and I feel more confident about my hair now. Just amazing!

Anyway, if you have any volumising/thickening hair products that you love, please tell me all about them! I'm now a complete believer of having more voluminous hair.

Have a great day guys! Enjoy your Friday! :) 

5 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Fitrina,
I really love reading your posts and happen to read from one of your previous post that you love LA girl pro conceal HD concealer? Happen to see this today in BHG Lot 1. They are having 20% off and stocks for these are low. Perhaps you would like to check it out? They also have other LA girl make up range there. Hope you find what you're looking for and kindly share your reviews of your latest buys with us, k? Cheers and a wonderful weekend ahead. Regards,Janice

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi Jan,

Thanks for reading my blog! :))

Thank you so much for the heads up!! I definitely need to stock up since I use it so much!

Jan said...

My pleasure, good things are meant to be shared. Btw, are you only using their concealer? What shade are you using? Thanks for all the awesome reviews. You've done a wonderful job. I'm also following you on Instagram :-)

Fitrina Lim said...

Ohwow thank you so much for supporting my blog! :) Yes, I'm currently only using their concealer and my shade is GC976 Pure Beige. It's a really amazing in concealing my acne and it's so affordable, so I will stock up whenever I see an LA girl stand haha.

Thanks so much once again! More reviews coming up! :)

Jan said...

Thanks dear, yep, after the 20% discount, its only $7.20....