Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review: NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer

The elf studio Maximum Coverage Concealer didn't really work for me, so I had to find another find to replace my holy grail concealer (L.A. Girl Pro Conceal Concealer). The review for the elf studio one has been linked in the previous sentence, so if you're interested to know more about my thoughts on that, click away! 

I chanced upon the NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer during my previous Shopping District experience and so I decided to get it. It retails for S$9.50 on the Shopping District website. One major reason why I got it was because I remembered I used to use this concealer when I was on exchange in 2011, and I loved it so much. Back then, my skin was a horrific mess because it couldn't adapt well to the stark temperature difference; I had dry skin and acne - a very catastrophic combination that I never want to experience ever again. The NYX Concealer did its job well in covering up what needed to be covered, so I decided to repurchase to see if it's still as amazing as last time. 

The concealer definitely has gone through some changes. Back in 2011, it wasn't called the NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer. I think it was more simply named, maybe like NYX Full Coverage Concealer or something along that line. 



Packaging: The NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer has a problematic in-a-pot packaging. Positive things first, it's definitely a good product for travel or for throwing in your purse because even though it's in a glass pot, it's not bulky. Also, customers will get a lot of product. Usually, some brands will create this fake illusion by using a huge glass container, but when you open it up, the width of the glass is so large that you get very little product in the end. Not with this concealer!!

Ok now onto the troublesome part. I generally dislike products being in a pot, unless it's a gel eyeliner. With gel eyeliners, you have to use a brush to apply your eyeliners, so getting product out of the pot is no biggie. With concealers, some people prefer applying it with their fingers, and this pot packaging can prove to be quite unhygienic, especially for those who break out easily. Furthermore, what if the user prefers long fingernails? Then you get product stuck and it's a hassle removing it. Luckily for me, I like short nails and I always clean out the top layer after each application, so all's good for me. It takes more time than concealers in a tube, but if it works, why not spend those few extra seconds?


The NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer promises to be light weight, crease free and full coverage. I'm 66.7% agreeable with this claim.




Texture/Consistency: The NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer has a rich, creamy texture without being greasy or oily. It definitely is light weight as after applying a few layers on super active acne, the area didn't feel cakey or heavy at all. The creaminess also help to improve the blendability of the concealer.

Pigmentation: I don't agree that this is full coverage concealer. Maybe after three to four layers, but definitely not on the first two. It's great for under eye area, redness and fading acne scars. but more layers are needed for active pimples. I'm not complaining about the coverage though because at the moment I have no active pimple, so the concealer works very well for me in terms of covering up the required areas. Those with many inflamed spots but still need to cover up, you may need more than 3 layers to sufficiently conceal them.

Application: A very easy-to-use concealer. A few dabs will already blend the concealer into the skin, hence it's quite pleasant to use!

Longevity: This is the most amazing factor about the NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer. It lasts soooooooooooooooooo long?! I didn't even have to touch up at the end of a 9-6 work day. My T-zone area will be slightly oily, but that's just how my skin is, nothing too major! It's definitely crease-free. The concealer doesn't melt under our crazy weather and it stays put forever and ever! Two thumbs up!!

Will I buy it again? Yes, I will! It's now my go-to concealer (while saving on the last bits of the ultimate awesomeness concealer, L.A. Girl Pro Conceal Concealer) and I have a feeling I'm going to continue reaching out for it more and more in the mornings!

Hope this has been a good read! Have a good day guys! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really think.mac prolongwear worth the investment but obviously its nt loghtweight and cheap
But try it!