Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara in 800 Very Black

I love the original COVERGIRL Lash Blast Mascara dearly, and I was devastated when I ran out of it. I wa about to purchase another of the orange tube but this other mascara caught my attention - COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara. 24 hours?! What a claim!! I decided to just get it and give it a try. 

The COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara retails for S$15 on Shopping District, but sadly it's no longer listed on the site. Perhaps you want to try out the other variation of the Last Blast line


There was only one option available for colour - 800 Very Black. I don't like to apply coloured mascaras so a deep black mascara is always preferred.



The COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara claims to:

  • give you 100% more volume for 24 hours
  • give you lush, volumized lashes
It is also safe to use for those with sensitive eyes and those who wear contact lens. 

Take note of this phrase - "Removes easily with CG Clean Makeup Remover". This mascara is so heavy duty that only a couple of makeup removers can remove it. I have tested so many makeup removers and I have come to a conclusion that this mascara is not easy to remove at all. I have more than 10 different types of makeup wipes/oils/gels/etc and only 1 managed to get rid of the mascara completely?! 



Ingredients list

Packaging: It's just like the original COVERGIRL Lash Blast, but with a black tube and metallic orange wordings. Personally, I prefer this packaging. The original one is entirely orange and it's not for those who prefer sleek and professional-looking packaging. This black tube is more forgiving. However, the COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara is similarly bulky and it's not travel-friendly at all. The mascara takes up a lot of space because of how thick it is.  


Brush design: When I compared this to the original COVERGIRL Lash Blast mascara, I can see that the COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara has a slightly bigger brush head. The fine, plastic bristles are flexible and the bristles crowd the front and back of the brush head. This brush design is the reason why I loved the original COVERGIRL mascara. The plastic bristles are not stiff, hence it's easy to apply and you are less likely to make mistakes. The crowded ends also mean that it's easier to apply product on the shorter, finer lashes at the inner and outer corners of your eyes.

However, this brush is quite huge and so it can be quite difficult to work with for beginners. Practice makes perfect, so don't let the huge brush intimidate you!




Application: Once you get used to the large brush head, it's quite easy to apply. It's also really easy to apply product on the tiny lashes.

Smudgeproof? I used the COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara for one entire day and half a night (8am to 11pm - 15 hours!) and I did not see any smudging. There was also no product transfer to my bottom eye area. So all's good!

Longevity: Definitely lived up to the claims. I may not have worn the mascara for 24 hours, but for the 15 hours that I had it on, my lashes looked consistent throughout. Two thumbs up!

Removal: My nightmare starts here. I was testing this mascara for a good week and every single day I used a different makeup remover and it just wouldn't come off! I used Maybelline's makeup remover, Hada Labo Cleansing Oil, etc etc and none of them worked! Finally, I restocked on the BIORE makeup wipes and they worked wonderfully with this mascara. PHEW. Can you imagine my horror when I couldn't remove the mascara properly and I had to sleep with mascara on?! NOT GOOD. I also woke up with crazy smudges. Aiyoh.

Will I buy it again? Nope. I will not purchase the COVERGIRL Lash Blast 24hr Mascara again, but that's solely because there are too many different types of Lash Blast mascaras. I want to try them all!

Thanks for reading and hope this has been useful!

No comments: