Monday, October 21, 2013

Review: Skin & Lab Products (Blemished and Acne-prone Skin)

I'm always scouring Qoo10 for skincare and beauty products deals. Of course, I'm not as adventurous as last time where I just buy skincare products online to try them. One unfortunate transaction caused me a terrible breakout and my skin is now is better, but I still have scars (mentally and physically) from that experience. 

That painful experience was partly due to my uneducated purchase. I didn't research; I just wanted to jump on the "snail cream" bandwagon. This time, I read a lot of positive reviews about Skin & Lab products and I wanted to try them out. Especially the Skin & Lab products for blemished and acne-prone skin. 

I bought a duo of the Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture and Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask for S$14.90 (with an additional S$2.50 non-registered mail from S. Korea). You can purchase by clicking this link if you're interested: http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SKIN-LAB-1-1-PROMOTION-PORE-MASK-GLACIAL/403681213#none There's an early bird discount now (S$13.90!), so hurry if you want them! 

The seller is having a 1-for-1 promotion - you buy the Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask, and you'll get one other free product. For this month (till 31st October 2013), the free product is the Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture


Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture

  • can treat and prevent dry skin
  • improve skin texture
  • protect sensitive areas from irritation
  • calm blemishes
  • hydrate, soften and sooth the skin
  1. Skin & Lab Mont Blanc Glacial Water Drop (Normal to oily skin)
  2. Skin & Lab Hawaii Deep-Sea Deep Moisture (Dry to sensitive skin)
  3. Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture (oily and dry skin with skin irritation)
For my skin, the third type is the most matching and that's really how my skin condition is right now. I have both really oily and really dry areas with one area (jawline) infested with skin irritation. 




Packaging: I think a regular reader will know and understand my love for products with a pump. The Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture and so hell yeah, I love it! Moreover, I think after using The Body Shop products, I'm more inclined to favouring products with green packaging. This has a metallic mint-green shade, so yes I'm all in!


Here are some pictures I took from the Qoo10 website

It really seems like the perfect moisturiser for my skin! Sadly, I have yet to try it on my face though. So I can't really tell if it really works. I'm trying to clear the whiteheads first before trying out this product, so at least there is no visible skin irritation when I try this product. I'm just scared that I will break out from a new product, so I'm using them cautiously. 

However, I did try them on my neck and my hands. So I'll be basing my review on those areas. 


Main ingredients in the Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture. All the good things in one small tube.


Product consistency and texture: It has a gel-like consistency and it has an incredibly potent absorbency. No trace of oil whatsoever and once applied, it turns into this pleasant water-gel consistency. You also get this cooling effect just after you smooth out the product, so I'm enjoying the sensation whenever I apply it on my neck.

Moisturising? Definitely yes. I used the Skin & Lab New Zealand Bedrock Water Clearing Moisture on my neck and both hands at night and both areas was well-moisturised and I woke up with no dry patches (usually my hands are extremely dry after sleeping in an air-conditioned room). I really would love to try it out on my face when my irritations have somewhat cleared up!

Did it break me out? So far the only area that's prone to a break out is the upper neck area. I did not have any breakouts even after a week of application. So all's good! I'll update this space again when I use it on my face. *fingers crossed*


The Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask was the product that I was excited about. I read quite a few of reviews complimenting this product and a couple which stated a "no-effect" review. There was no negative (among those that I read) reviews and so I really wanted to try it!

It's great if you have:

  • really oily skin
  • but also really dry skin at some areas
  • skin that looks cakey after applying makeup (due to dead skin cells)
I'm definitely all 3 of the above. That's why I was so eager to try this product out! 




The five main treatments from Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask



Packaging: It has a very sanitary packaging. You get a mini spatula to take out the amount of product that you want to use. You get a plastic cover that separates the product from the cap; hygienic and helps in keeping the product moist. Clay masks dry out really easily, so you must ensure that you cover the product with the given lid and close the cap tightly. 



Product consistency and texture: It's like green mud with bits of salt particles. It's quite solid, so spreading it on your face can be quite tough at the beginning, but your fingers will warm the product so it will gradually get easier to spread and blend. I actually like the grainy texture. It helps to exfoliate when you wash off the product so it's easier to remove. The Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask dries up in 15-20 minutes so if there were no grainy bits, it'll be more difficult to remove!

Fragrance: You can't be expecting a floral or fruity scent to come out of this product right? Simply said, it smells like potent herbal tea, with a hint of mud. It's not for the faint-hearted, but it grows on you. I'm used to this smell already. If you have acne problems, you should be used to all these funky smells.



Did it work? A word of warning: when you first apply it, it will sting. Yes you know about clay masks and the tingling sensation. This brings the sensation to a whole new different level. It simply STINGS. Your entire face feels like it's being prickled by millions of tiny needles. Sounds major scary right? I was so scared for my skin when I used it for the first time!

But don't worry, the tingly sensation will gradually disappear within the first 5 minutes and after that it just feels cooling and then it will feel tight when all the product has dried up.

I was so scared my skin was going to have red patches the first time I used it. I immediately washed it off after 15 minutes and to be frank I was quite amazed at how smooth my cheek area was. There was no redness and the pores around my nose actually didn't look that obvious anymore.

A couple of hours later, my existing whiteheads DRIED UP. They were no longer the painful almost-going-to-erupt bumps, but they became shriveled bumps. WOW. The next day, I was dealing with dry pimples and I'd rather handle that than erupting volcanoes.

For areas that have slight bumps or a slight sign of infection, the Skin & Lab Glacial Clay Facial Mask will bring them to the whitehead stage much much much faster. I don't really like how it brings out the whiteheads, but I can't really blame the product since I have too much skin infections right?

Overall impression: I will give this a very high 9 out of 10. The smell is not terrible (terrible to some, but not me), it works in controlling the excess sebum, minimising pores and drying out the whiteheads. Definitely a future repurchase for me!

The seller was really kind and included the below samples too! I think I'm passing the Red Serum to my mom because it's more for anti-ageing.



Have a great work week ahead guys! I'll be going to Bangkok on Thursday. CAN'T WAIT!! :D

No comments: