Sunday, February 10, 2013

Swedish Music (Oh Sweden, I miss you so....)

When people talk about Sweden, the first things that come to mind will probably be IKEA, H&M, gorgeous good-lookers, vikings or the harsh winters. Swedish music is probably not something that will be on top of people's minds when a conversation on Sweden is started.

Before I set off to Sweden for my exchange programme in 2011, I researched a bit about the country and I was surprised to see some of my favourite acts are actually from Sweden! I always thought A* Teens were from America. I also thought Roxette was British or something. It's quite obvious I am quite ignorant when it comes to music. I like the song, I will listen to the song, that's it.

However, thankfully I had the chance to go to Sweden because through this opportunity, I was able to discover more Swedish acts that I really have grown to love. My mom used to have Roxette's casette tapes and the song "It Must Have Been Love" was stuck in my head since I was barely 5 years old. There are also newer Swedish acts like Robyn and Agnes Carlsson (or simple, Agnes). Everyone also knows who Swedish House Mafia is.

Swedish music is definitely underrated. I even love the songs that are sung in Swedish, although I don't understand a single word. Veronica Maggio's "Snalla bli min" is so hauntingly good, I used to repeat it for over 10 times in one seating.

Hence, this blogpost is specially dedicated to Swedish music. Also, it's an attempt to relive the memories that I had while in Stockholm. Ah, those beautiful days~

ABBA

With mega hits like "Dancing Queen" and "Mamma Mia", ABBA is probably one of Sweden's best music exports.




Roxette

I truly didn't know this duo was from Sweden! "Listen to Your Heart" and "It Must Have Been Love" are such classic love songs and now my love for Sweden has grown even more after knowing that Roxette originates from Sweden!




The Cardigans

Yes, the name might sound foreign. However, do you remember the extremely catchy song "Lovefool"? The song was included in the soundtrack for Romeo + Juliet! It was also featured in Cruel Intentions!

"Lovefool" used to be my showering song. HAHA. ~Love me, love me, say that you love me~~




A*Teens

This is a must-include band because I still remembered how when I was in Primary 6, our class danced to "Upside Down" for Teachers' Day celebration. :D




Veronica Maggio

Her song "Jag Kommer" was playing EVERYWHERE while I was in Sweden. But I prefer her slow songs because her voice is so hauntingly beautiful!




Listening to Swedish music brings back those amazing memories that I had in Sweden. It was one of the best times of my life and I really can't wait to go back!

For now, I shall appreciate Sweden by listening to Swedish music more. But my ultimate goal is to be able to have a mug of hot chocolate at a cafe at Gamla Stan while listening to Swedish music. 2030 - STOCKHOLM HERE I COME!

No comments: