Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: Etude House Styling Eye Liner

My obsession with eyeliners will never end and I'm not going to do anything to curb this eyeliner hoarding habit. Personally, I think girls need just two makeup products - a good concealer and an excellent eyeliner. 

A tip for girls with single eyelids - don't pile the eyeliner. It's tempting to draw a really thick line because generally an application of eyeliner will give the illusion of bigger eyes. However, for those with single eyelids, a thick eyeliner application will backfire and your eyes will look smaller than they really are. The trick is to buy a good white shimmery eyeliner to apply on the either the waterline or the inner under eye corner. The sudden pop of white will make you look more awake and your eyes will seem more large! 

This review post is for another eyeliner that I purchase on Qoo10 - Etude House Styling Eye Liner. Each eyeliner was only S$2.50 (excluding shipping). Visit this link to make your own purchase: http://list.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Goods/Goods.aspx?goodscode=407646448 

This time I didn't only buy the black eyeliner, but also the white one because I really like how the correct application of white eyeliner makes your eyes look bigger! 

The reason why this is so is because when you use white eyeliner on your waterline, it creates the illusion that your eye whites are larger. The excellent combination for a larger set of eyes is of course to include eye-enlarging contact lenses. However, I'm really scared of putting things into my eyes, so I will make do with the white eyeliner. :P 






Packaging: Simple and classy enough. Great that the packaging colour matches the product colour. Sounds really dumb to compliment this aspect, but some brands prefer an all black range, with only the pencil lead being the differentiating factor. 

Eyeliner lead quality: I'm sitting on the fence for this one. The black eyeliner has a great pencil lead. However, the white one seems quite brittle. When I first tried the white one, the lead broke and I thank God it broke while I was trying it on my hand. Imagine the hassle if it broke when I was applying it on my waterline. 

The white lead broke on its first application. 

Swatches under yellow room lighting

Swatches under camera flash

Pigmentation: Definitely no qualms about the pigmentation. The black was very smooth and the colour was quite shockingly jet black. I didn't expect that since it was only S$2.50. The white takes more work but I have no complaints about that too.


Swiped with water.

Waterproof? These are not waterproof eyeliners. As seen from the photo above, I rubbed the area with some water and the colours just smudged. Hence, for those with oily eyelids, either equip yourselves with a great eyelid primer or just avoid this eyeliner altogether.

Longevity: The black eyeliner was okay. After a good 4 hours, I noticed that some of it had transferred to my lower eye area, hence I had to check it every now and then. The white eyeliner was completely gone after 3 hours. Hence, these eyeliners are not the most lasting of all eyeliners, but it's good enough if you are in an air-conditioned room all day. If you are going to be walking all day in a warm temperature, just opt for a waterproof eyeliner and not these.

Will I buy it again? I gave this much thought and I have come to the conclusion that I will not get it again. The main reason is because I'm experimental when it comes to eyeliners. I will only repurchase when it's a really good one like Urban Decay's. For those just starting out, it's a good buy though because the eyeliners are cheap and works relatively well.

Hope this review helped and have a good holiday guys! :)

No comments: