Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bangkok Haul! Madness I tell you!!! :S

When I vowed to bring an overweight luggage back from Bangkok, I wasn't kidding at all. Sadly, my luggage was too small, and after squeezing everything in, I only had a 7kg increase from its initial weight. 

My sister went even crazier because she was not only buying stuff for herself, but also stuff to sell on her facebook shop. 

My poor mother had to accomodate with us. I think she barely bought 5 items for herself. :S 

It was a good family outing though, so everything's fine and dandy. 

My sister and I didn't want to lay everything out in our Bangkok Hotel because we needed to save every precious minute either shopping or eating!! Hence, we decided to do it once we reached Singapore. Haha, people commented that we could open a pasar malam stall already. :X 

It's quite obvious which half is my sister's and which half is mine. She's fond of pastels and florals and peter pan tops, while I'm more into denim, quirky prints, studs and loud colours. It's good that way because we always buy different things - meaning more things to choose from each other's closets (though she has the advantage here because she can wear most of my clothes as baggy wear, but I can't fit into her teeny tiny tops. Urgh). 


 






I think both of us spent less than S$400 on all this craziness. It's good when you're travelling with your parents because first you don't need to pay for food, transport and accomodation (or FTA in short hahaha) and second, they will give you more money when your those in your possession have been exhausted.

Bangkok was truly a shopping paradise. My most expensive buy was just S$11!

I don't really have an informative itinerary to type out for you guys because most of the time, we just blindly walked around our hotel (Centrepoint Petchburi, which is located next to Platinum Fashion Mall!) and we found gems!

Here's a list of the places that we went to:

  1. Platinum Fashion Mall
  2. Chatuchak Weekend Market 
  3. Pratunam Market
  4. Grand Palace
  5. Centrepoint 
  6. Chinatown
  7. MBK
  8. Saphan Phut Night Market
Some tips when in Bangkok!
  • Refrain from taking tuk-tuks during peak hours or when there's a traffic jam. The tuk-tuk drivers usually will quote you exorbitant prices!
  • Taxis are amazing in Bangkok. They are everywhere, they are loud-coloured (neon pinks, neon oranges, neon purples, neon greens!!!) and they are CHEAP. Our trip from the airport to the hotel was 200baht (including of highway fee and airport surcharge), that's like S$8!! Please make sure you ask the driver to use the taxi metre though. We didn't know about this and our taxi ride to Chatuchak was 200baht (quoted by the driver), while our ride back to the hotel was only 80baht (by taxi metre). =_= 
  • MBK is an amazing shopping place if you are shopping for gold and electronics. If not, then skip it. We were only there for 45 minutes and ended up eating, and buying nothing. 
  • Please learn the art of bargaining, especially when you are in Chatuchak Weekend Market or any other markets. My mom is a total expert and both my sister and I were relieved we had our mom with us. Both of us have terrible bargaining skills and we witnessed the true powers of my mom's legendary bargaining skill. More than half price cut. O.O
  • Platinum Fashion Mall is cheap by Singapore standards, but they are not cheap by Chatuchak Weekend Market standards. So if you are lucky and you are in Bangkok during the weekends, then spend most of your money there rather than Platinum Fashion Mall. 
  • We also realised that the vendors at Chatuchak Weekend Market charged more on Sundays than on Saturdays. We were there on both days and the prices increased on Sunday. Blergh. 
  • Saphan Phut Night Market was amazing, especially for those who like vintage clothes and jeans! Denim shorts were as cheap as 100baht (~S$4)! 
  • PLEASE EAT THE COCONUT ICE CREAM AT CHATUCHAK WEEKEND MARKET. HOMAIGAWD HEAVENLY ICE CREAM. 
  • Roadside stalls in Bangkok are not dirty and the food they sell are all amazing. Please exploit the many fresh fruit stalls! Even non-fruit lovers will love the mango/jambu/pineapple/guava because they are all SO SWEET. 
I can't think of anymore right now. haha. I will update the list again when more thoughts come into my mind. 

Bangkok was fantastic and I can't wait to go back for more shopping and eating and getting fat!!! :D 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be going to bangkok for the first time with my family!!!! And what recommendations can you give?? I will be staying Berkeley hotel bangkok! From 26th to 30th dec. Thanks and sorry to bother =)

Pls send to my email: sandy_silky@hotmail.com

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi there,

Thanks for reading my blog!

I'm actually going back to Bangkok on 24th Oct! Perhaps I'll write another BKK post on that! :) Hopefully that will help! I'll drop you an email too!

Cheers! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Great summary of your trip to Bankok! I'll be visiting Bankok in December with my family, could you recommend any good hotels with reasonable prices, any other good lookouts for shopping and dining in Bankok? thanks heaps! :)

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi there,

Thanks for reading my blog.

I have made another trip to Bangkok just a month ago, and I have written posts on it.

Please refer to these 3 posts if you'd like more info on accomodation and food!

Accomodation: http://fitrina-inamorata.blogspot.sg/2013/11/glow-pratunam-hotel-bangkok.html

Food (part 1): http://fitrina-inamorata.blogspot.sg/2013/11/bangkok-2013-food-food-food-part-1.html

Food (part 2): http://fitrina-inamorata.blogspot.sg/2013/11/bangkok-2013-food-food-food-part-2.html

Thanks!