Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: SILKYGIRL Magic BB Powder Foundation

I realised I use a lot of foundation. It's either I have a huge face or I have too many impurities (or maybe I should use the word "much"? HAHA) to cover up or maybe BOTH? Hehe whatever lar. Anyway, I ran out of foundation AGAIN, and so this time I was on the hunt for a cheaper new product. I saw this product on many magazines and was rather intrigued to get it! 

The SILKYGIRL Magic BB Powder Foundation retails for S$18.90 at Watsons. I think they are having a 20% discount for this at the moment. Very fortunately, I could deduct S$2 from my total also because of the points that I accumulated on my Watsons card, so I paid S$14+ for this? CHEAP CHEAP! :) 

I bought it in 02 Natural, and to be honest, it was a little bit too dark for my skin colour, but I still can buff the colour out with my powder brush, so it's fine luh. 


It promises (or has) the following:
  • SPF 20/PA+
  • Vitamin E to keep skin moisturised
  • Matte, silky finish
  • Wild Mango Kernel Butter - to repair and restore skin's suppleness (very skeptical about this)
  • Shine-free and fragrance-free
  • Long-wearingness
  • Natural finish
  • Special formulation suited for Asian skin
Those are a lot of promises. I'm highly skeptical but then again this is supposed to be BB Powder Foundation, so I guess they are possible? 



Ingredients List

Manufacturing Date

The packaging itself is simple and a wee bit cheap-looking. I can't expect much but I'm just glad that they don't plaster complicated designs on their foundation packagings (like their perfumes, ohmygosh those were disasters). Simple > Confused, definitely!

The surprising thing about the packaging is how cheap it looks, but how sturdy and heavy it feels! There seems to be a substantial amount of product inside (or perhaps the plastic is really heavy, but I would like to think of the former).


There is 8g worth of product in the compact, and there's a foundation sponge provided.

First impressions:

Mirror:
Very huge, very useful for on-the-go touch-ups. But the vertical design makes it it difficult for you to see your entire face at one glance. Those with wider faces, more armwork lar.

Foundation sponge:
I'm hugely impressed by the sponge. It's very densely packed and definitely not those cheapo kinds that fall apart after a week of usage. This denseness is almost like a Beauty Blender denseness, and so it's easier to apply heavier coverage on your face without swiping too much foundation. Genius! Great job, SILKYGIRL!

With camera flash

Under yellow lighting, without camera flash
Coverage:
This is almost as good as my holy grail ZA foundation. It really does set your concealer well and it's very buildable. If you want heavy coverage, use the sponge and pat on your face (don't swipe! You will wipe off your concealer!). If you want a lighter coverage, use a dense brush and swirl the product on your face. I'm happy with the coverage so far!

Fragrance-free?
Yes, this has no odd fragrance at all. I especially hate it when products have weird rose fragrance on them, so this is a yay!

Shine-free?
Definitely. This is a highly mattifying compact. I have very oily skin on my T-Zone area and those parts only get oily round 3 hours after application (which is excellent since my ZA one fails me after 2 hours or so).

Suited for Asian skin?
Of course! With this terrible heatwave we are suffering from everyday, this foundation actually does not melt under the hot sun!

Longevity:
This can last me for an entire day in the office till around 530pm (that's normally when I touch up), and so yes, it has quite a good longevity!

Keep skin moisturised?
I'm genuinely surprised that the foundation actually lived up to its promise. Usually I will see dry areas around my lip with other powder foundations, but with this, I had no such problem. Wow.

Retaining skin's suppleness:
Ok, this one is just a gimmick I think. *shirks shoulder*

Will I buy it again?
Yes, yes, yes. The only thing I don't like about it is its packaging and that is saying something. Yay SILKYGIRL! :D

2 comments:

Maria said...

hi!
could you be so kind to tell what shad are you in Mac fo example? i'm looking for the info about this SilkyGirl powder and i thought i need the Natural shade, but on your pics it looks darker then i expected...

Fitrina Lim said...

Hi Maria,

I'm usually an NC20-NC25. "Natural" is a tad too dark for me, but after I buffed it out with a dense brush, the difference is not that noticeable!

Hope this helps! :)