Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review: "Coastal Scents" 15-Colour Concealer Palette

I succumbed to temptation and ordered a Coastal Scents Concealer Palette off eBay for $20. I think I have just been conned. There is NO WAY this is Coastal Scents Concealer Palette, hence why I used quotation marks for the brand name.

I thought to myself, maybe the quality will be okay even though it's a fake? Let's see...



Looks-wise, they look highly promising.


What surprised me the most was this white shimmer cream, preferably used for highlights above the cheekbones or down your nose bridge. I did not expect this to be in the palette at all!


To be very honest, I wanted to hate it, but I ended up loving this highlight cream. The glitter bits are very finely-milled, not chunky at all. I can already see this is as a staple for events! The pigmentation of this is as seen in the photo, quite remarkable actually. And it glides on the skin very easily. Such a good start to this review!


Here comes the most useless things in this palette... the colour-correcting creams. So for those who are still confused as to why you put coloured concealers (other than your skin colour), here are the reasons why: you apply green-tinted concealer to get rid of redness, for example your very ripe pimple; you apply purple-tinted concealer if you have dull skin, the purple tint inside will cancel out the greyness.


These 2 are practically kids' chalks. The texture is so bloody chalky! I don't see how I want to layer chalk on my face! Terrible product, terrible texture, even more terrible after-feel. It really feels like someone drew on your face. Gosh.


Moving on to the highlight of the palette - the concealers themselves.


After the colour-tinted concealer fiasco, I didn't have much hope for the concealers. However, I was mildly surprised. They are okay concealers that have almost mousse-like texture, and they dry off to a powdery texture. Rather interesting, I must say.

Pigmentation is a disappointment though. If you have serious imperfections on your skin, don't rely on this palette, get some heavy duty concealers instead (liquid concealers are usually more pigmented and give more coverage). I tried on my redness and it was kind of a let-down.

This will be good for those with almost perfect skin, but have sudden imperfections.

The powdery finish is really too surprising!


Moral of the story: buy makeup palettes off eBay with caution. This is definitely NOT a Coastal Scents product.

2 comments:

Chrisbeeblack said...

I just wanted to let you know, that ebay, coastal scents and sedona lace and so on sells the same palettes, just with different labels. You can get the palette you paid $20 for, for the price of $5 ...

Anonymous said...

Heeey! I'm not a make up expert (not at all actually), but I wanted to ask you if this concealers could also be used as eyeshadow? you said that it has a powdery finish, what makes me think it could work fine as a eyeshadow... Am I right or wrong?