Sunday, December 11, 2011

Review: ELF 32-piece Eyeshadow Palette (Warm #10601)

There is no logic behind why a woman needs so many eyeshadow palettes, especially neutral palettes. SIMPLY NO LOGIC.

We don't need them palettes, but we want them palettes, so what to do? Satisfy your desires before you go cuckoo. Wise advice from the ever-rational me.

I shall stop chattering and start the review proper.

I bought the ELF 32-piece Eyeshadow Palette from Smoochiezz Flea for S$15. Yes it is more expensive than the retail price on elf.com, but ohwell, I get it instantly without having to wait for long, dreary shipping. IT IS WORTH THE MONEY, GUYS.

The reason why I bought yet another neutral palette: there is no reason. Or maybe just because I'm obsessed with neutral shades. That is all.

Seriously - the original palette is as striking as this one, but I'm talking about practicality here. I will probably try to be creative twice or thrice a month, popping some colours onto my eyelids and looking all cheerful and artsy. But the other 90% of the time, I wake up late, have barely enough time to mask myself with all the products and then have to zoom out the house before I get TOO late. These occasions call for simple colours that still can give a wee bit energy to your eyes. THAT IS WHY NEUTRAL SHADES ARE GOOD.


Look at these colours!! *spasms*


It comes with a long mirror and a double-ended sponge-tip applicator. The mirror is a pleasant surprise. Big and handy!


I divided the palette into the first 16 on the left, and then the next 16.

Here is a clearer photo of the first 16 GORGEOUS colours.


Swatches for the first 16 colours, under flash.



The next 16 colours. Colours on the bottom row are so suitable to be used as eyeliners! Just dip a wet angled eyeliner brush and apply on lid! :)


Swatches of the next 16 colours, under flash.



Pigmentation: ELF eyeshadows are always a joy to work with. The lighter shades are a little bit less pigmented, but not to the extent that they are horrible. Layering still can give the full-blown effect.

Variety: I'm quite pleasantly surprised that ELF included so many matte shades for this palette. Not only that, the matte shades actually come out quite pigmented! Many cheap palettes include matte shades that BARELY give any colour even when swiped vigorously. This is different, and I must say this is a very, very remarkable feature of the palette. Another plus-point will be the few glittery shades included (actually, this palette only have one). Glittery shades are nightmares because the glitters go everywhere, even into your eyes (ouch) and THAT IS AWFUL. Good going ELF for not including an army of glitter eyeshadows!

Packaging: Not too big, not meagrely small. A good size to carry around in your makeup bag!

What is lacking: The double-ended sponge-tip applicators almost serve no purpose. I use it to clean the palette. Maybe include a sufficiently decent eyeshadow brush the next time? ELF US$1 eyeshadow brushes are extremely decent, so maybe include one of those?

Overall, this is a great palette to add to my neutral palette collection. Next to acquire: URBAN DECAY NAKED 2 PALETTE! (Perhaps a year from now or so...Oh well...)

No comments: