Thursday, December 11, 2014

BLOGMAS Day 11: Finally a date at Sunday Folks!

Want to go Sunday Folks, of course go on Sunday right? 
Kengyang and I wanted to have a date here since a couple of months ago and finally we made it to Sunday Folks on a Sunday! For those going, beware of the crowd - try to come as early as possible. We were there at noon and we had to wait a couple of minutes for our table. After that, the queue just gets longer and longer... 

I think Sunday Folks can rival Hanare in terms of most Instragrammed food in Singapore. I'm not sure what the real statistics are but I've been seeing SO MANY Sunday Folks posts on my Instagram feed. 

Most of the time, food that are easy on the eyes, are not that tasty. But wah, Sunday Folks has AMAZING cakes and their waffle+icecream combo is just perfect. Sunday Folks is a perfect example of a cafe perfecting and serving just a few items on the menu. They do what they do best and focus on that. Some cafes really need to learn from them man. I've been to new cafes in which I was basically served food that I could make on own at home (and sometimes I felt like I could better dishes than them) and then I was charged more than S$20. Please lor, you can attract first-time customers with your avant garde decor, but you are not getting long-term customers, and that's why cafes are popping up like cray, and also closing down like cray. 

I really enjoyed my two hours with Kengyang at Sunday Folks. The food was good and both of us were in great mood because the food was so good. The decor was also social-media-worthy and overall, it felt like we were on a vacation in some European cafe that served kickass desserts. Even the simple black coffee had a kick and aiyah I really enjoyed my time there lah. Can't wait to go back!!


We ordered the Sticky Toffee Cake  with salted caramel sauce and this was so dense and moist, with the right amount of sweetness. SIMPLY DIVINE. I would definitely try the Matcha cake the next time I'm there!


Of course must order waffles with ice cream also. We chose Earl Grey Lavender for our ice cream and it was life changing man. It was the first time I really tasted lavender in a lavender ice cream. yah I know very strange, but sometimes they say "oh yes, lavender ice cream", but then you just taste vanilla ice cream with a little bit purple food colouring. This one is legit. Can't wait to try Seasalt Gula Melaka!!!

I think the staff in Sunday Folks take pride in what they do. There was this guy who was extremely obsessed with how his ice cream tip turned out. I think he was new and another girl was teaching him how to churn out the perfect-looking ice cream, but he couldn't get it and he was soooooo pissed off at himself haha. His ice cream looked okay lah, just that it wasn't as nice as the girl's (the girl was in charge of our waffles! So yes, this was supposed to be the model "ice cream tip"). Every single time he served a customer, he would glance back and observe their reactions. I even heard him say to his colleague exasperatedly that "my tip not nice leh! I cannot get it, aiyoh!". Kengyang and I kept smiling and it's a great thing - you have to take pride in what you do and perfect your skills! Applies to everything in life lah.

So yes, Sunday Folks is one of the best cafes that I've been to and I definitely will encourage my friends and my readers to go and try! :)

Sunday Folks
44 Jalan Merah Saga, 
Chip Bee Gardens #01-52
Singapore 278116
Nearest MRT Station: Holland Village

No comments: