Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil

I was on the hunt for a pencil eyeliner that was as good as Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil, but with a much more affordable price tag. My all-time Urban Decay favourites (Zero, Perversion and Corrupt) are all running out - all three eyeliners are down to their last 3-5cms! I'm incredibly saddened and so the hunt is on!! 

I have heard a lot of positive reviews on the jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil, with some likening it to the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil. Of course I'm intrigued! 

jordana is not a brand that's easily attainable in Singapore, but fortunately, ShoppingDistrict has some jordana products listed on its website. I got my jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil in 01 Black Point for a very reasonable S$8.90 on the website

Initially, I was impressed but this eyeliner pencil. However, that feeling slowly dissipated after the first sharpening. 




Packaging: The jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil has a fuss-free packaging. Nothing showy and loud (usually drugstore tend to bank on fancy packaging). I don't really like the cheap-looking transparent plastic cap, but it does it job in protecting the eyeliner pencil lead, so all's well.



Left: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil (Perversion)
Centre: jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil (Black Point)
Right: Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner
Pigmentation: When it comes to pigmentation and colour, 01 Black Point is the perfect dupe for UD's Perversion. It is darker and blacker than UD's Zero and it's definitely a great black eyeliner! I even compared it to my favourite liquid felt-tip eyeliner (Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner), and the colour intensity is as impressive. Full marks in this category!

Left: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil (Perversion)
Centre: jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil (Black Point)
Right: Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner
Waterproof? The jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil does very well when smudged under running water. It's a great eyeliner to have on when you know you're going to be bawling that day. The Heroine Make Smooth Liquid Eyeliner didn't do very well because I didn't wait for it to set before the water-proof test. Oops.

Application: I will divide this category into 2 - before sharpening and after sharpening - because the difference is too drastic.

  • Before sharpening: the jordana 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil applied like a dream. Application was smooth and the eyeliner glided well on the eyelid. It was also very easy for me to create a simple winged out eye look because application was not as jerky as some other drugstore pencil eyeliners. I was impressed and very much in love. I thought I have found THE dupe!
  • After sharpening: The situation went downhill after the first sharpening. I always avoid sharpening pencil eyeliners until the lead is extremely sharp because I may injure myself during application and because such a sharp point will only make the lead more prone to breakage. So, I sharpened this pencil eyeliner as per usual, and proceeded with my makeup routine. To my horror, halfway through application on the right eye, the entire exposed eyeliner lead just broke off. WTF?! I thought I was applying too much pressure so ok, I sharpened it again and applied it very, very gently, and IT BROKE OFF AGAIN?! What's the use of great colour pay-off and amazing waterproof formula when you can't even get the product on your lids?! Perhaps, I received a defective product. MEHH. 

Longevity: jordana claims that the 12HR Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil is long-lasting for up to 12 hours. That may be factual for those with non-oily eyelids. For me, the eyeliner lasted 4-5 hours before starting to transfer. Not bad, but it'll be much better if the eyeliner is truly long-lasting, even for those with oily eyelids. 

Will I buy it again? I'm so tempted to get another 01 Black Point because I'm almost convinced that I have a defective one. I may just get one more and update you guys on that. 

Have a great day ahead guys! :) 

No comments: