Monday, April 21, 2014

A little bit of Dr. Seuss wake-up call...

You have brains in your head. 
You have feet in your shoes. 
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. 
And you know what you know.
And you're the one who'll decide where to go.


- from "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" by Dr. Seuss


I don't read a lot of Dr. Seuss as a kid. I read his books more when I was lost in my late teens. All his books are categorised as children's books, but the stories and the myriad of quotes appeal to all ages. At least that's what my personal opinion is. 

These last few weeks have been really rough, mostly emotionally. I tend to think too much and over-thinking a simple, innocent gesture can have immensely calamitous effects. Yes, my words are perhaps way too exaggerated. However, at those exact moments, my words described exactly how I felt. It's a mental demon that I have been fighting with for years, and sometimes it really overpowers my rationality. 

After a few weeks of negative and self-harming thoughts, the cycle will rotate to the "reflective" mode. That's when simple quotes like the above and simple words of encouragement from friends who matter help the most. 

Smiling seems to be best solution. Let the endorphins surge. When I know what I know rationally, I'll decide where to go. 

My biggest wish currently is to slowly mould the still-malleable depression cycle clay into a straight line of positivity. 

No comments: