Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: ZA Impact Lash Mascara (VOLUME)

Whenever a drugstore brand launches a new mascara, something stirs inside me. It's like I have to collect EVERY SINGLE MASCARA out there in the market. It's a weird excuse to come up with to defend my lack of shopping control, but I assure you guys, such things are REAL. 

ZA launched the Impact Lash Mascara quite a while back, and unfortunately I didn't get it then because alamak I only have one set of eyelashes so how many mascaras can I use right (A round of applause for my excellent self-control please)? So what do I do? I made sure I used my other mascaras like crazy, like three-coats crazy. Then two of my mascaras got a little bit clumpy, and SCORE! Time to get new mascaras. HEHEHE. 

The ZA Impact Lash Mascara (VOLUME) retails for S$17.50 at any ZA counters nationwide and the mascara is available in the (LONG) and (WIDE EYES) versions as well! I already have fairly long lashes (thank you to the mixed Malay-Chinese genes HOORAH) and so I am all for a volumising mascara. 


The ZA Impact Lash Mascara (Volume) promises:

  • Thick lashes that are clump-free from base to tip
  • Lashes that hold the curl
  • Waterproof and smudge-resistant application for hours
SO HOW DOES IT FARE? Sadly, not very well. It's not THAT bad but I wouldn't buy it again. 



This insert came with the mascara. Cute but ohwell it's obvious how much Adobe Photoshop participated in the procedure, so come on now...

However, the model fronting this mascara is Jun Hasegawa and she's my most favourite Vivi model (sadly no longer a Vivi model now), so YAY PLUS POINTS.


Basically to get the gyaru look, you need to get all 4 mascaras. I shall...just stare at the gloriousness of Jun Hasegawa.


Packaging: Ever since ZA revamped its product packaging, I always thought that the brand looks more professional while still maintaining the youthful vibe. The packaging for the ZA Impact Lash Mascara embodies just that. Professional but still hinting a little bit of youthfulness. I like.


Brush design: The ZA Impact Lash Mascara (Volume) has a slightly curvaceous brush. The bristles are very dense, which makes sense because this mascara is supposed to give volume. It does not have those rubbery, bendable brush head that I really loathe, so everything's still looking perfect at the moment.


Application: If you notice from the next photo, there's a slight build-up at the tip of the wand. This was quite frustrating for me because I had to get rid of this build-up before I apply to avoid too much product on my inner eyelashes.


After one coat of mascara
After two coats of mascara
After one coat of mascara
After two coats of mascara
Volumising? It is no doubt a volumising mascara. Perhaps it volumises too well? By the second coat of mascara, my eyelashes were full of clumps. It was just horrible. I think one coat is more than enough! Unless you have those metal eyelashes combs that can separate your lashes after application...

Waterproof and smudge-resistant? No complaints about both. However, I notice that after a few hours of wear, I have little bits of mascara product on my upper cheek area. It's like as if the mascara is shedding! *gasp* More infuriatingly, some of these "products" made their way into my eyes which irritated the hell out of them. I have never experienced this with other mascaras before so I'm rather confused over this situation. The only thing I can think of is that this mascara is too dried out, but erm I just bought it, so that shouldn't be the case right? WEIRD.

Holds the curl? The only positive trait of ZA Impact Lash Mascara (Volume) is how well it holds the curl. Usually after curling my lashes and applying mascara, my lashes go back to their sad, straight states after a couple of hours. With this mascara, the curl was evident even after a full day! So hooray to  holding the curl, ZA Impact Lash Mascara!

Will I buy it again? ERRR not really. I don't like how I can't apply two coats without clumping my lashes and how I have weird black things IN MY EYES. Next mascara please!

No comments: