Sunday, August 19, 2012

Review: Sephora Colorful Mono Eyeshadow in Choco Express (No. 19)

In my approximately 4 years as a beauty geek, I have never tried Sephora eyeshadows before. I have to honestly say that I was afraid to try them because house brands usually don't manufacture good quality products. Of course the previous statement is highly biased and it's all due to my narrow-mindedness. I was glad that Sephora included their Colorful Mono Eyeshadow in their Summer Set. Finally, I am able to try out a Sephora eyeshadow! 

According to Sephora, their Colorful Mono Eyeshadows are:
  • highly pigmented
  • long-lasting
  • easy-blending
No fancy claims, just the necessary ones. I like! 

The Sephora Colorful Mono Eyeshadows retail for US$12 for a 2g/0.07oz worth of product. Currently, they are having a sale and each eyeshadow now costs US$5 only! Go get them here: http://www.sephora.com/colorful-mono-eyeshadow-P241801 

The shade that was included in the Sephora Summer Set was No. 19 Choco Express. It is described as a "dark chocolate with silver glitter". 




Packaging: Very sleek and I like how the front design is transparent. Somehow the "SEPHORA" logo blends in with the eyeshadow design. Love it!



Colour: They are definitely not kidding about the silver glitters. Those are not shimmers, they are chunky glitters! A rather foolproof combination, I must say. Dark chocolate + silver glitters = major contrast + obvious blingbling. However, I was rather skeptical about the use of glitters at the beginning because many of the glitter eyeshadows I own have the tendency to fallout very badly. I would have a river of glitters on my lower lid areas after I was done blending. Sometimes, some glitter particles would even make their way into my eyes! Ouch!

To my surprise, this was not so bad! (More on this below)

Swatch with camera flash

Swatch with camera flash - LOOK AT THOSE PRETTY GLITTERS :D 

Swatch with normal sunlight 

Pigmentation: This eyeshadow does not go on as smooth as it should be. Hence, for the colour to come out similar to the pan, you will have to build up the colour through numerous applications. Not a hassle for me but if you are in a hurry and you want some major colour on your eyelids, then maybe this can prove to be quite troublesome.

Application: As I stated above, I really detest glittery eyeshadows because of the mess they make, and because of the risk they put on my poor eyeballs. Hence, I usually try to avoid glittery eyeshadows altogether. For this Sephora Colorful Mono Eyeshadow, I was surprised that none of my worries occured. I think the main reason why I had no glitter mishaps was because the glitter didn't come out well. When you swatch it with your finger, the glitters do come out (like the photos above), but when you use your eyeshadow brushes, they don't really pick up the glitters and so the amount of glitter on your lids is almost non-existent. Is that a good or bad thing? Good for me because I don't really like glitters, and I like the colour. So it's a win for me!

Maybe this is not a good eyeshadow for glitter junkies.

Longevity: This product is long-lasting. That I am very sure. I applied it in the morning before I met Yinghui for Lacepipe Warehouse Sale (which was a complete disaster) and it lasted me till 11pm at night!!! Crazy long-lasting! No creasing as well! I used my NYX eyelid primer and the combo worked their magic!

Blending: I'm quite agreeable with the claim that Sephora made on how this is easily blend-able. It was just as it claimed and I had no ugly straight line of eyeshadow on my eyelids. Another yay!

Will I buy it again? Yes! Why not? I'm looking at the other shades right now and kinda into Marie (rosey brown shimmer) and Retro Powderpuff (peach shimmer). Time to make a trip down to Sephora! :D

Thanks for reading and hope this has been helpful! :)

No comments: