Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: Shiseido Maquillage Lasting Powdery UV EX

A recent acquisition of mine from last week's Shiseido sale. It's definitely not something that I will buy off the counter simply because of the hefty price tag attached to it. 

The Shiseido Maquillage Lasting Powdery UV EX Compact costs S$65 and the case costs S$23, so it's certainly not for those looking for affordable foundation. 

I bought mine for S$30 from the Shiseido sale and I'm already quite heartbroken by the amount I spend because I usually swear by my ZA foundation which is less than S$25. However, I have to grow up sooner or later right, it is time to invest in a good foundation (albeit it being bought off a sale :P). I sound so cheapo, but aiyah, I look for bargains mar! 

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html

Especially enticed by how it claims to "combat sebum-shine"! That is certainly amazing news for people with oily skin!

Also, I appreciate the fact that they indicate whether it's suitable for all seasons/or just cold weather etc. Some foundation seems so perfect on the advertisements, but they become a hot melting mess after a few hours under our scorching sun, coupled with the unforgiving humidity.

So this foundation is claimed to suit our crazy wonky weather! YAY!

You can also use the foundation dry or wet. Personally, I prefer to use it dry because I don't like to wet the compact and the sponge (hygiene issues), however, if you want extra coverage, using it wet can help!

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html
These are the array of foundation colours available on sale. As always with Japanese products, colours are catered more to the fairer women, simply because the majority of Japanese women are either really fair, or obsessed with being fair (maybe all Asian ladies? haha I'm rather obsessed with getting fairer myself too).

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html

I bought mine in OC10, a tad lighter than my normal colour, but it's okay since I'M GOING TO BE FAIRER (YES I WILL, I AM DETERMINED TO BE!!).



Such a pretty case! :) I think this is one of their Christmas sets back in 2010 or something.


The compact itself is made in Japan, while the case is made in Taiwan.


One thing I love about this is the HUGE mirror! Also, after I assembled the foundation compact together with the case, I realised one of the reasons why this foundation costs so much more.

Usually for cheaper powder foundations, when you buy the refills, you either get a sticker that you can take out to stick onto the case, or there's a hole at the bottom of the case to suck the air out and hopefully suck enough air out to temporarily keep the compact in place.

However, things don't always go so dandy. When the sticker touches powder from the previous compact (you forgot to clean the case or something), it loses its adhesiveness, and so you are left with a refill that doesn't stick to the case! IRRITATING because I once merely shook my makeup bag, and the compact fell out and made a nightmare of a mess in my makeup bag. =__=

For this Shiseido Maquillage Lasting Powdery UV EX, the compact actually CLICKS to the case! I actually tried to wriggle the foundation around, and oohlala~ the compact stayed where it should stay and didn't budge!! CONVENIENCE X 2 MILLION.



Sorry for the bad lighting - I REALLY NEED TO CHANGE MY CAMERA! or my lightbulbs.


Finally a decent photo!

Photo under camera flash

The website also illustrated how you should use the foundation! Very useful indeed because usually I start with my forehead. Now I finally know how to optimise the function of a sebum-combating foundation! (Step 2 is especially useful).

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html

Picture from: http://www.maquillage.shiseido.com/sg/allitems/base/foundation/item072.html
Pros:

  1. This foundation provides just enough coverage (medium-heavy coverage), which is especially great for people with oily skin, but living in a humid location like Singapore. A too-heavy-coverage will only "move around" after a few hours and will immediately make the wearer look cakey and theatre-like. 
  2. It has SPF 22 PA++. If you read the recent CLEO (June 2012), there was an article on the disparity between your real age and your skin's age. The most important thing to do is to apply products with SPF because YOU NEED TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM THE SUN! Even when you are young!! Hence, this foundation provides just enough for women who are not constantly exposed to the sun. 
  3. It evens out the skintone. For women who wear eye makeup a lot, their eye area will usually be darker than the other parts of the face because of the constant makeup application and makeup removal. This foundation actually helps to even out such unevenness! Rather impressed with this factor. I tried using it without concealer under my eyes and it made a difference!
Cons:
  1. It doesn't really live up to its sebum-combating claim. Perhaps my skin was too oily? I applied it this morning at 8am, and my skin was already oily by 1130am. When I blotted my skin, it was as oily as when I used my ZA foundation. 
  2. It's not for those on a budget. The hefty pricetag is certainly not for everyone. 
  3. If you are someone who has relatively normal to dry skin, please don't use the sponge to apply the foundation. It will be too cakey for you! Alternatively, you can use your kabuki or a simple powder brush
Will I buy it again?
  • Erm, maybe when I'm richer? For now, I will use this up and then go back to my ZA foundation!

No comments: