Monday, February 6, 2012

DIY Masks

I'm highly intrigued by DIY (Do It Yourself) masks.

Not many people are enticed by the idea of applying everyday grocery items like honey and egg white on their faces, but think about it...is the idea of applying chemicals on your face any more attractive?

I have had enough of store bought facial products, not because they don't work, but because I'm slapping chemicals after chemicals on my skin. Yes, they do work now, but what will happen to my skin in the future?

It's time to go back to the basics.

My mom swears by the cucumber lemon mask to reduce acne scars. My mom, my aunt and my uncle were all poor sufferers of acne when they were in their late teens till their early 20s. They had no money to buy expensive acne-calming or acne-prevention products, and so they relied on a method taught to them by my great-grandaunt. They used a cucumber and lemon juice concoction to alleviate the acne scars and to prevent future blemishes.

My mom has beautiful skin for her age now.

Mine, on the contrary, is on the losing end of the battle. Ever since I came back from Sweden, my skin had massive acne breakouts, which led to the irritating acne scars that I'm left with now.

Facials are of course a good solution to solving my skin woes, but I realised a problematic cycle - I go to facial, my skin is in pain, a few days later my skin feels fabulous, 2 weeks later the same spots come back, and then I'm back to another extraction session.

I call it "an unfortunate facial cycle".

Of course, this has nothing to do with the facials that I have been going to. They all have proven to work and I have no qualms over any of the facials. The problem lies with my skin. It's just like when you have dandruff and suddenly Head & Shoulders doesn't work anymore.

My skin is getting used to the chemicals used and therefore not reacting as well anymore.

And so one of my future blogposts will be on DIY Masks, specifically:
  • Cucumber Lemon Mask
  • Honey, green tea and cider vinegar Sugar Mask
They sound horrid, but success stories that travel through time can prove their effectiveness.

Here are 2 videos that show you the steps! :)



No comments: