Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review: NYX 10 Color Eyeshadow Palette in Champagne & Caviar

I bought this online from sg-beauty for S$10, not very cheap for second-hand NYX makeup, but I was too excited about the neutrality of this palette that I grabbed it and ibanked within 5 minutes.

The first thing that I noticed was the spelling error. I don't suppose Americans spell "palette" as "pallet" right? I googled it, and realised everything is spelled as "pallet", so maybe it's a NYX thing? Spelling nazi in me is raving in this monstrosity of a spelling error, but hey, let's not be too critical here, eh?


I bought the one in Champagne & Caviar, which is a compilation of neutral eyeshadow shades.
I realise I'm gearing towards neutral shades more and more now that I'm all grown-up. What happened to my creative side?! Too frustrating but neutral shades are just too easy to apply and match!


Photo taken under yellow lighting.


Photo taken with flash.

The white eyeshadow (extreme left, bottom row) is as good as being non-existent. I had to rub hard (no sexual connotations please!) for more than 5 times before I could get a decent swatch. The black (extreme right, bottom row) is also not very pleasant to work with. The only good thing I can conjure up is that because it's so not pigmented, I can avoid messing up when I want a little darkness at the corner of the eye. *rolls eyes*

My favourite colour has to be the rich caramel brown shade (extreme right, top row). It's just too enduring with that just-right hint of shimmer. I noticed that this palette, other than the white and black, is banking on shimmers and glitters A LOT. I already can predict myself struggling to clean the glittery mess under my eyes after application. YIKES.


Swatches, taken with flash. LOOK AT THAT IRRITATING WHITE-SHADE. Its saving grace will be that I don't use white a whole lot, or almost never.


Overall, I think this palette is a disappointment. The colours look very subtle and warm and enticing online (I almost wrote appetising wtf. HAHA), and they look as good in real life. HOWEVER once I started swatching them, I know the term "don't judge a book by its cover" is NO JOKE. Some colours are difficult to work with, some are just a simple colour boiling in glittery beach. Nevertheless, I will still use it quite frequently because they are neutral shades (LUCKY I BOUGHT NEUTRAL SHADES), I'm rather fearful of hitting pan on Urban Decay's Naked Palette and this can prove to be a distraction.

Yes, the Naked Palette is so good I'm almost hitting pan for one shade. Me! Hitting pan for an eyeshadow! Can you imagine how ground-breaking this is?! Only possible with the awesomeness of the Naked Palette!

Booboo to this NYX Palette! Nice colours though!

No comments: