Saturday, July 9, 2011

Review: Urban Decay NAKED Palette

When Urban Decay first launched the NAKED Palette (I think it was in April-May of 2010), I knew I had to get it and I also knew I had to wait a long while before I can get my hands on it. Urban Decay is one sly and smart company; releasing a palette consisting only of neutrals will create chaos and UD knows that, so they released one just like that, packaged it sleekly complete with a suede brown outer cover and yes the world went mad.

After approximately 1.5 years, I FINALLY HAVE THE NAKED PALETTE. I have to thank Eve Yeo for going down to Sephora to help me purchase it when it was back in stock! YAY EVE!

And this is my gleeful face every time I think about the NAKED Palette that's inside my makeup cabinet. :D


The first edition of the NAKED Palette consisted of the 12 neutrals and a double-ended 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils in ZERO and WHISKY. After the first edition sold out in record timing, subsequent editions consisted of the 12 neutrals and an eyeshadow brush instead. All editions come with a mini Eyeprimer Potion.


Personally I will prefer the double-ended eye pencils because I ADORE them, but the eyeshadow brush is not too shabby, so I'm sold! UD even named the brush Good Karma Shadow Brush - highlighting the fact that it's not made of animal hair. Such cuteness just to name a brush, as expected from Urban Decay.


Colours from left to right:

Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal

The palette is a mixture of matte, metallic and shimmery eyeshadows, with one exceptionally glittery one - Sidecar.

Judging from past UD palettes and this palette, I have to say that I still hate the glittery eyeshadows from UD. Sidecar is a beautiful champagne colour that will look fantastic at the inner corners of the eyelid, but the glittery chunks make it so uncomfortable to wear! Chunks of glitter will be inside your eyes after application and irritation is ALWAYS inevitable.

Other than that sole disappointment, the other 11 colours are simply to-die-for. A palette just for neutrals, complete with highlight colours and darker colours for smoky looks.

Pigmentation-wise, the matte shades are not as pigmented as the shimmery/metallic colours, but they are buildable, hence you still can apply the matte colours on your lids, with the colours being similar to what you see on the palette, but with more number of applications. More troublesome, but you will get there!

My favourite colours from this palette are (how can you even choose one favourite colour from this palette?) Sin, Smog, Darkhorse and Hustle. If I have to choose the ultimate of all ultimates, it will be Smog, and I'm glad I have Smog in 3 different palettes! :)


Swatches (with flash)

Colours (from left to right):

Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal


Swatches (lighter, more wearable colours, with flash):

Colours (from left to right):

Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck and Half Baked


Swatches (darker and more vampy (HEH) colours with flash):

Colours (from left to right):

Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal


The rating scale doesn't even do this palette justice because IT IS MORE THAN A PERFECT SCORE.

I already foresee myself using this palette everyday! Shall hug it to sleep now. YAY TO URBAN DECAY NAKED PALETTE! :)

No comments: