Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Tony Moly Backstage Gel Eyeliner

Ever since Ga-In (Brown Eyed Girls) mentioned that Tony Moly's Backstage Gel Eyeliner was her staple, I have been lemming and lemming.

However, Tony Moly is ridiculously overpriced in Singapore, and I could not bring myself to spend a fortune on a Korean drugstore brand. Gmarket is a savior, because I got mine for S$10.90, inclusive of shipping from Korea! :)


The seller was kind enough to include several samples from skinfood and Missha.


The eyeliner is designed in such a way that the cap hides the brush. Quite gimmicky in my opinion, but I realised the wonders of this design when I used it.


When you detach the brush from the cap, you will realise that there is a considerable amount of length that you can grip onto when applying the eyeliner. This is rather advantageous for beginners because the design enables maximum control for sleek and clean application.


The brush will be a dear to work with if an individual love a thick eyeliner look. For those who prefer to apply a thin layer close to the lashline, the brush may prove to a problem and need some getting used to because of its wide-headed design.

Pigmentation of the eyeliner itself is not bad, but not fantastic either. I am quite sure it's because of the rather runny consistency of the product. Other gel eyeliners (i.e. L'oreal, Maybelline) have a thicker consistency that ensures a succesful one-time application. Tony Moly's, however, is on the more liquid side and hence you have to go over your first application after it dries for a blacker line. Without the second or third application, the line just look streaky.

I must admit that the blackness of the eyeliner is quite remarkable though.

Swatches with flash:


Here's a look I did with Tony Moly Backstage Gel Eyeliner! Quite difficult to see the actual line, so pardon me for not taking up a close-up picture.


The eyeliner lasts quite long even in this humid weather! I think the longevity of this product can be enhanced with the usage of a good eyelid primer that minimises oil excretion on the lids. The eyeliner started to smudge after a good 9 hours, so that IS QUITE AWESOME! :D

Overall, it's a good drugstore eyeliner with a nifty brush, but I will not spend its atrocious pricetag in Singapore to get it!

No comments: