Wednesday, June 29, 2011

what are the odds

This exchange experience has made quite a significant impact on my life, both positively and negatively. I remember when I was in Year 2 of Junior College, I had to attend a motivational talk by a really loathsome economics teacher who taught us elasticity through a song (yes, it's still on youtube, ohmygod), and he mentioned how going for exchange had made him understand himself better. Since then, I knew I wanted to do my own soul-searching as well.

Approximately 2 years later, I said my goodbyes to my close friends and family and was excited to live in a foreign land for 6 months.

Excitement soon turned into disappointment, which soon turned into homesickness, which later made its way back to being extremely happy about the upcoming traveling opportunities. Now, there is a turmoil deep down my heart. I want to leave and be back to my old life, but I can't leave Stockholm without missing it.

6 months here, and Stockholm has become my comfort zone. Everytime I travel out of the country, I cannot wait to get back to my student accommodation because it is so much more convenient and safe.

Moreover, the fairy-tale image of Europe that I have in my mind has been completely replaced by sheer reality. When you have travelled to 21 European cities, you can't help but find everything similar to everything else. Cathedrals, Pantheons, ruins and museums - nothing surprises you that much anymore, well maybe except Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

In 4 days' time, I will be back in Singapore.

That is what I have been looking forward to and now, I'm completely engulfed with anxieties. It's just like 6 months ago when you start to feel like cancelling everything and just stay put. However, Singapore is where I want to live in and hence, no matter how worried I am, I'm still home bound.

I feel like a completely new person already. I cook better, I clean MUCH better, and I pretty much have become a domestic goddess. Call me thick-skinned, but I think my toilet-cleaning skills can rival those cruelly-trained maids from Bukit Timah Shopping Centre.

And then there's my old flame who has made me a stronger person despite the numerous adversities. It's funny how we took almost 3 years to make that facebook conversation. True that facebook did not get popular till a couple of years ago, but the point is, plucking up the courage to be honest takes time and I'm glad I went through that period.

Will I ever come back to Stockholm again? This question remains unanswered.

But friends, welcome me back in 4 days' time! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
my webpage: The Tao of Badass Review